Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Elite 8300
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a refurbished Elite 8300 PC bought recently, i am trying to install the full 32gb of ram using 4 x 8gb DDR3 chips purchased after crucial scan, The PC lets me install the first 2 Chips achieving 16GB but after that the PC wont boot and there is an initial 4 bleeps then it shuts down. However, when I replace the last two (slots 3 & 4) with the old 2gb it boots and registers as 20gb. It is very frustrating as I have purchased the 4 identical chips which are correct and the first two prove they are the correct type. CAN ANYBODY HELP.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Memory is installed in alternating slots. Install in slot 0 and 2 and then 1 and 4.

Installing memory modules in the manner you have done is guaranteed to give strange results or even a no-boot scenario.

Are you installing guaranteed compatible memory?  That is a critical step in the upgrade.

Which version of the Elite 8300 do you have?  is it an AIO,  Microtower, Small form factor, Ultra- Slim, convertible minitower?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

In reply to your message the DIMM slots are named as 1.2.3.4.

Looking at your explanation it would appear that there should be 5 slots. When in fact there are only four.
However number 1 and 3 are black with 2 and 4 being white.
I have tried placing simms in the 1 and 3 with no avail and tried various different setup again to no avail.
All the chips are identical, from the same source (Crucial after the scanning process), 8gb DDR3l - 1600UDIMM 1.35V CL11

My PC is an ELITE 8300 Small form factor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor.
Regardless of whatever combination I try, all I get is a blank screen, 4 audible bleeps and then the system shuts down.
When I place 8gb sims in slot 1 (Black) and 2 (White) and 2gb simms in slots 3 (Black) and 4 (white), the PC fires up correctly and shows that 20gb is present. If I then substitute the 3rd slot with an 8gb sim the PC fails and I am back to square one.
I have even updated the firmware to the latest version to no avail.
Is there a function is the BIOS that I might be missing?
My only consultation is that I bought two ELITE 8300 Small form factor PCs and could try to see if it is a common fault or simply a problem with the one particular motherboard. 
I hope my extra information might make the view clearer.
PBS

HP Recommended

"Looking at your explanation it would appear that there should be 5 slots. When in fact there are only four.
However number 1 and 3 are black with 2 and 4 being white."

Manufacturers of motherboards use 0,1,2,3 or 1,2,3,4 for the numbering order of DIMM slots. That is not truly important as long as the installation of pairs is in alternate slots. Some older configurations of motherboards have six  or even eight slots and SIMMS are installed as three  or four modules in alternate slots. That is one thing that is common in the design of the memory channel strategy for desktop motherboards.  Take a look at various desktop motherboards from different manufacturers and you will see that is indeed so.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15835/asrock-rack-offers-rome-matx-motherboard-with-only-6-memory-cha...

https://www.techpowerup.com/157261/asrock-readies-x79-extreme6-gb-motherboard-with-8-dimm-slots

If placing them in alternate slots does not work and each module works as expected when installed separately, it could very well mean that a slot on the motherboard has failed. 

Generally, four short beeps  of an HP motherboard indicates that there is a corrupt  image or checksum error, which means the issue is with the BIOS. See the document  at the hyperlink below this line.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02222922

If the motherboard BIOS is AMI four beeps means there are "fatal, errors of critical motherboard components - such as the cpu".

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.