Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc5800 Microtower PC

I get a cheep HP Compaq dc5800 Microtower PC without HDDs.Now I wanna find out wich CPU is installed, to probably change it to a faster one. In the specifications sheet are few CPUs, but wich one is inside my PC? On the case is just Core 2 Duo....

Serial Nr.: [edit]

Product Nr.: KV512ET

It's too late in europa for contacting any support.....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Even without a hard drive installed, you should be able to boot into the BIOS and see the system information window where you will find the memory and processor info.

Turn on the PC, tap the F10 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get into the BIOS.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Hi:

Even without a hard drive installed, you should be able to boot into the BIOS and see the system information window where you will find the memory and processor info.

Turn on the PC, tap the F10 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get into the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, I'v send this message already from my cellphone, but somehow it did'nt arrived.
Thank you for your answer. This night i'v ordered new memory modules(8GB, upper limit), but the delivery term is "unknown". So probably I have to wait couple of weeks... and yesterday a friend brought a big hp monitor he don't need. And I purchased also a new HDD for the future data. So I will wait with the first start to BIOS till the hardware is up to date.
Thank you again. ( I didn't know you can start without a drive!)
Another case is, in the user manual is not 1 word about exchange the CPU. Is it possible at all?

And just now I was looking for a driver for the (new) monitor, but my OS will be Windows Server 2019, and this OS is not available to choose, so the answer was "no driver for this...."  ???
Carlito512

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Carlito.

Below is the link to the HP Quickspecs for the dc5800.

https://nts.nl/site/html/modules/pdf/PC/dc_5800.pdf

The list of supported processors can be found on pages 5 & 6.

You would have to hope that the W7 drivers will work on Windows Server 2019 for any devices that Windows Server 2019 doesn't install automatically.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul. Thanx again for the quick response. Now I don't have to wait for the new hardware, but there is still a new problem.

According to the code on page 3 it's a Core 2 Duo (like writen on the case), but the number is 8500. The last CPU in the list is 8400 !!! So what do I have? A lightspeed of more then 3GHz?

As you can see, there is the word 'PROMO' at the beginning.

IMG_20200104_164935.jpg

Do's it mean it's an faster CPU ? I will try to find out other Core 2 Duo releases.

Thank you again.

Carlito

HP Recommended

Hi again Paul. I think I'v found the propper CPU.

It's a Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8500, 6M Cache, 3.16 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB

It's nearly that fast like my fastest one ! 3,6GHz. (I have 8 computers, but only 4 are working. Soon 5...)
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, that is correct.

Your PC has the Intel C2D E8500 according to the label.

The best processor you can upgrade to is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Processor (2.50-GHz, 6 MB L2 cache, 1333-MHz FSB).

HP Recommended

Hi.

I refuse to do this, because as I'v realised on my other machines, the difference in speed between 1 and 4 cores is not to see. The difference between 3,4GHz and 3,6GHz is obvious on start, or duration of calculations...!

But you said earlier something about W7 drivers. I will install the Server on a blank drive. What drivers do I need in case?

On one of my machines is W7 as a second OS installed. Or can I found the missing drivers on the hp site ?

HP Recommended

You wanted to know if the processor could be upgraded, so I let you know what you can upgrade to.

If you are running multiple applications simultaneously, a quad core processor would be better than a dual core one.

Whether you upgrade or not is your choice.

After you get Windows server 2019 installed, you will have to let me know what devices need drivers afterward.

Post the name of the devices that need drivers, and the hardware ID for each device that needs drivers.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID for a device.

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

HP Recommended

Oh, I'm sorry. At that list are anyway just 2 quadcores above my CPU. The most work I will do on other machines. The server will be realy only for my bussines homepage. There I'll need only a PDF software, maybe a small video/pics viewer, that's it.

I will write a message to you as soon as the machine is running, depense on the delivery of the RAM modules.....

Thank you for all that informations.

Carlito1024 🤣

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.