Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

For what you need the PC to do, 8 GB of memory and the E8500 dual core processor should be fine.

Drivers may be an issue, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

HP Recommended

Hello again Paul.

I'm affraid there is another big question on my mind. I'v just pick up the "Server Software" at the shop, but I was expecting a disc, or a download link, and not just a serial- and part-number. Since 1h I'm searching at Microsoft and HP sites for a link to download a .iso, or .img file.

I only found "buy..."... but I did already !!! I can't see a possibility to enter the serial, download an image, burn it, finito....!

Yesterday I'v purchased a manual for that software(Over 1000pages, 100.-CHF) but they are only talking about installation from a DVD, or a USB stick/drive (or by remote control). How can I tell at the boot "install this... from there..."?

???

HP Recommended

Hi:

You will have to contact Microsoft to see how you get the non-evaluation copy download.

You can download the 180 day evaluation ISO file from the link below, and I did find links on how you can convert the evaluation copy to a full version too.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2019?filetype=ISO

https://www.carysun.com/how-to-activate-windows-server-2019-evaluation-edition-with-vlsc-mak-key-or-...

Seems a bit complicated to me, so I would contact Microsoft first.

Maybe they have a link if you provide proof of purchase.

HP Recommended

Hi.

Yes, it's quiet complicated, and it's also described in my 1000pages book...😂 (I'v read some pages already.)

Just before you answered, I'v burned the evaluation version to DVD, and saved the AdminCenter.msi to my Software folder...

The trouble with supports is, they are not working when I'm waking up...

It will take about a week untill RAM's arrives, so I will study the book for important issues, and try to contact Microsoft.

Thank you for your assistance.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to be of assistance.

I'm sure that Microsoft must have a way for you to download the 'real' Windows Server 2019 ISO file.

HP Recommended

I would be happy if it will be so...

Just have to wake up earlier....😆

HP Recommended

Hi Paul.

RAMs arrived earlier then expected, so I will place them in.

Microsoft supporter gaved me, after consultig his boss, a link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2019. (well known address !)

I wrote back, I burned this version yesterday on DVD. Then they gaved me a tel.no. to support Germany, wich was (of course) closed. It looks like I have to do this full activation procedure anyway....

And now to something completely different: I decide to change the CPU to a 4 core. Wich one of those 2 is more efficient:

° Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Processor (2.66-GHz, 8 MB L2 cache, 1066-MHz FSB)
° Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Processor (2.50-GHz, 6 MB L2 cache, 1333-MHz FSB)

My knowledge tells me the 1333MHz is faster, and 2,66GHz, 8MB cache somehow too....?!

What do the expert tells me..?

HP Recommended

Sorry that Microsoft was unable to help you easily.

Regarding the processor...You ask a good question, for which I do not have an answer, but I can discuss a little more regarding what you have already pointed out.

The quick answer is to go with the  Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 processor...The higher number normally means better processor.

But...the question I don't have an answer to is:  How does the 800 MHz memory bottleneck affect the processor's performance.

The processor's FSB can only process data that goes through the memory at 800 MHz.

So, whether the processor's FSB is 1066 MHz, or 1333 MHz, the data is only going to pass through the memory at 800 MHz.

Therefore, I don't know which one would be better...the faster GHz speed and larger cache of the Q6700, or the faster FSB speed of the Q9300?

I think if the Q9300 is a lot more expensive than the Q6700 then I might go with the Q6700.

Here is a side by side comparison of the two processors...

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=33922,30790

One of the advantages of the Q9300 is that it uses 10 less watts, so it should run a bit cooler than the Q6700.

HP Recommended

Very nice answer. I'v been looking at the current CPU description, and I'm not realy shure to make the change. The current CPU have nearly the same parameters. 6MB, 1333MHz, but 3,16GHz. Will be there a significant difference to one of the quadcores?

I don't think so. So I don't need to spend money, or/and take nearly the entier machine appart.

By the way, I saw just before at eBay a Q9300 for 40.-CHF, including delivery...the only one not from China. Vietnam !....

P.S. RAMs are installed.

HP Recommended

I agree with you.

I wouldn't upgrade it right away.

I don't think the quad core would make a huge difference over the E8500.

Try the E8500 with the 8 GB of memory and see how it performs.

You don't want to be dumping a ton of money into such an old PC.

I don't even think the drive controller supports RAID or AHCI. 

It is still on the slowpoke IDE controller setting.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.