Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

When I read the manual for my PC the highest OS that I can use is only Windows 8 and I wanna know what would the best 

recommended motherboard so that I can use Windows 10.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can run W10 on your PC as is.

I am running W11 on my older HP 8200 Elite and it works fine.

You have to use a W11 hardware check bypass method to install W11.

Here's how you can upgrade your PC to W10.

Make the bootable USB installation media with the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

It will be easier to do if you have another PC running W10 or W11 to make the media because the media creation tool no longer works on W7/W8.1 unless you make some registry changes.

See the info at the link below if you run into problems.

(Solved) Media Creation Tool Error 0X80072F8F - 0X20000 (appuals.com)

After you create the bootable USB installation flash drive, have your 8300 Elite running and at the Windows desktop.

Plug the flash drive in the USB port.

Open the flash drive in Windows explorer.

You will see a list of files on the flash drive.

Double-click on the Setup application you see in the list of files to begin the upgrade process to W10.

After you upgrade to W10, if you find that things don't work right, you have 10 days to go back to W8.1 as long as you don't delete any of the upgrade files or the Windows.old folder.

Go back to Windows 8.1 - Microsoft Support

There should be only one driver you need to reinstall after you upgrade to W10:

If you see a 'PCI Serial Port' device showing up in the device manager needing a driver, then you can install this driver for it.

Intel(R) AMT LMS_SOL for AMT 8.xx

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp67001-67500/sp67118.exe 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can run W10 on your PC as is.

I am running W11 on my older HP 8200 Elite and it works fine.

You have to use a W11 hardware check bypass method to install W11.

Here's how you can upgrade your PC to W10.

Make the bootable USB installation media with the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

It will be easier to do if you have another PC running W10 or W11 to make the media because the media creation tool no longer works on W7/W8.1 unless you make some registry changes.

See the info at the link below if you run into problems.

(Solved) Media Creation Tool Error 0X80072F8F - 0X20000 (appuals.com)

After you create the bootable USB installation flash drive, have your 8300 Elite running and at the Windows desktop.

Plug the flash drive in the USB port.

Open the flash drive in Windows explorer.

You will see a list of files on the flash drive.

Double-click on the Setup application you see in the list of files to begin the upgrade process to W10.

After you upgrade to W10, if you find that things don't work right, you have 10 days to go back to W8.1 as long as you don't delete any of the upgrade files or the Windows.old folder.

Go back to Windows 8.1 - Microsoft Support

There should be only one driver you need to reinstall after you upgrade to W10:

If you see a 'PCI Serial Port' device showing up in the device manager needing a driver, then you can install this driver for it.

Intel(R) AMT LMS_SOL for AMT 8.xx

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp67001-67500/sp67118.exe 

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for this info . I will surely try this later after  I purchase a flash drive.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks I was able to upgrade my Windows 8.1 to 10 successfully. I have just one question. I have an intel i3-3240 processor

and I want to replace it with i7 3770. Do I need to update my bios before installing the i7 processor?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Since the i7-3770 was offered as an original processor when the PC came out, I don't believe that it will be necessary to update the BIOS.

Should you ever feel it necessary to do so, since the PC is not supported for W10 make sure you use the F10 Setup BIOS flash method to update the BIOS.

That way you don't need to be in Windows to update the BIOS.

You can read this discussion for how to update your PC's BIOS to the latest version.

Solved: BIOS Update On HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF Desktop Computer Nee... - HP Support Community - 849...

Even though W11 is not supported on your PC, if you want to upgrade from W10>W11, if you are interested in installing W11 on your PC as is, you can read this discussion for how I upgraded several HP and Dell notebook and desktop PC's that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements to W11 22H2.

Re: Issues upgrading to windows 11 - HP Support Community - 8517912

Both of my 8200 Elite CMT's have are running W11 just fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.