Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700-509C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I have a HP Envy 700-509C and I want to replace my graphic card( the stock graphic card is a NVIDIA Geforce GT 640) with a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060, more specifically the Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB and I have a few questions before upgrading.

1. I was wondering if there is something that I have to do first before changing the graphic card?

2. I heard that people had to change something in the BIOS, do I have to change something too?

3. I also heard about deleting the old driver and install the new driver for the new graphic card, but if I do that, I can't revert back so is it possible to have both drivers?

4. I checked and I'll need to buy a power supply with more voltage, but how do I know if the power supply have all the cables (with pins) required for my PC?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Kevin828, welcome to the forum.

@Kevin828 wrote:

Hi, 

I have a HP Envy 700-509C and I want to replace my graphic card( the stock graphic card is a NVIDIA Geforce GT 640) with a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060, more specifically the Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB and I have a few questions before upgrading.

1. I was wondering if there is something that I have to do first before changing the graphic card?  The normal procedure would be to uninstall the driver for the old card, but in your case, this may not be necessary.  You can update it when the card is installed.  At least, give it a try.  Truthfully, I have been installing video cards for years and have never uninstalled to old driver.  I have not had any problems.

2. I heard that people had to change something in the BIOS, do I have to change something too?  I don't believe that this will be necessary.  They may have been installing a card that didn't require UEFI.

3. I also heard about deleting the old driver and install the new driver for the new graphic card, but if I do that, I can't revert back so is it possible to have both drivers?  See my answer to question #1.

4. I checked and I'll need to buy a power supply with more voltage, but how do I know if the power supply have all the cables (with pins) required for my PC?  The power supply unit (PSU) in the computer is a standard ATX.  I like Corsair products.  I recommend a PSU with at least 600W; 700W would even be better.  You need plenty of clean, stable power to run new video cards.  Also, I like modular PSU's in mid-size cases.  They allow you to only use the cables that are absolutely necessary.  Here is a PSU that will work for you.  It has 4 x 6 + 2 pin power connectors.  The card that you want to buy requires 1 x 8-pin connector.  You combine the 6+2 to make 8-pins.

NOTE: The card you want to buy is 11" in length.  I suggest measuing from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case to assure there is enough space to allow for good airflow.  The modular PSU will assist with allowing for better airflow, also.

Thank you

If you have further questions or concerns, you should contact the manufacturer's Tech Support for help.  They are the experts on their products.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Kevin828, welcome to the forum.

@Kevin828 wrote:

Hi, 

1. I was wondering if there is something that I have to do first before changing the graphic card?  The normal procedure would be to uninstall the driver for the old card, but in your case, this may not be necessary.  You can update it when the card is installed.  At least, give it a try.  Truthfully, I have been installing video cards for years and have never uninstalled to old driver.  I have not had any problems.

2. I heard that people had to change something in the BIOS, do I have to change something too?  I don't believe that this will be necessary.  They may have been installing a card that didn't require UEFI.

3. I also heard about deleting the old driver and install the new driver for the new graphic card, but if I do that, I can't revert back so is it possible to have both drivers?  See my answer to question #1.

4. I checked and I'll need to buy a power supply with more voltage, but how do I know if the power supply have all the cables (with pins) required for my PC?  The power supply unit (PSU) in the computer is a standard ATX.  I like Corsair products.  I recommend a PSU with at least 600W; 700W would even be better.  You need plenty of clean, stable power to run new video cards.  Also, I like modular PSU's in mid-size cases.  They allow you to only use the cables that are absolutely necessary.  Here is a PSU that will work for you.  It has 4 x 6 + 2 pin power connectors.  The card that you want to buy requires 1 x 8-pin connector.  You combine the 6+2 to make 8-pins.

NOTE: The card you want to buy is 11" in length.  I suggest measuing from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case to assure there is enough space to allow for good airflow.  The modular PSU will assist with allowing for better airflow, also.

Thank you

If you have further questions or concerns, you should contact the manufacturer's Tech Support for help.  They are the experts on their products.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your help and have a good day 😃

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @Kevin828.  I am glad to help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.