Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Not sure why your replacement accessories aren't working. I'm using replacement MS Sculpt Comfort (ergo) keyboard on mine with USB dongle and it works just fine. Have you checked plugging into the different USB ports? Some are USB 3, some have added power, etc. I use the "dumbest" USB ports on the back for mine.

Works on both the 2016 model on my desk at work and my 2017 model on my desk at home.

I can say that I have NOT attempted opening either case to remove the "factory" installed dongle.

If the USB route doesn't work, you may look at Bluetooth options. There are some nice choices down that lane too.

HP Recommended

Sorry, but you're not even close to the real subject of this thread.  These AIOs come with a USB Dongle internal to the machine, thus not externally exposed USB Dongle to 'just replace'.  Adding another USB/Keyboard/Mouse kit, would of course work, rendering the internal dongle useless and taking up an external port unnecessarily.  That's not what we're after.  That's the easy way out.

I have since figured out how to open the machine, the internal dongle is there, easily removable and replaceable and I have also now replaced my 256GB SSD with a 1TB Samsung 960 Pro.  Really happy I took the chance on removing the bottom panel of the machine, once you know how, it's not that bad and not that hard.  I should come back here and provide those steps when I have a chance and if anyone is interested.

HP Recommended

Actually, Jim - the original post (not yours) dealt with an external USB dongle not working for their aftermarket keyboard or mouse. You sort of hijacked that post to talk about removing the internal one. The original poster's concern was making the external dongle work.

Glad, though, that you got your replaced. I look forward to you posting the steps on doing it in the future. I might consider moving mine internal if it's not too much work.

HP Recommended

Not that it really matters at this point, but I was the original poster and my issue was how to find and remove the hidden internal dongle that was behind a long nearly hidden panel that runs the length of the back of my PC. I think we all agree it is a dumb design to put the dongle behind a panel in the first place. I still can't get the panel back on - I need to try it when a second person is here to hold the PC bent forward while I try to reattach it. 

HP Recommended

Agreed. Excessively dumb design to hide it. I had a different PC once that had a recessed cutout in the bottom. You simply slid out the factory dongle and replaced it with a new one. That said, since my keyboard and mouse came from two different manufacturers, I still had a (albiet small) second USB dongle on the back for my mouse.

Come to think of it, I've got a Sony TV with this exact same design on the back to allow a USB and/or HDMI stick to be plugged in and kep the back of the TV flush. Seems like HP could have found a simpler solution and maintained the stylistic integrity of this machine. At least the 2017 model doesnt have downward facing USB ports on the bottom like the 2016 model does. Those ports are just about useless.

HP Recommended

I bought a refurbished unit and discovered my keyboard and mouse (which I actually like) dont work, and by that I nean the input from the keyboard and mouse are not recognized by the PC.  I checked the PC by plugging in a BT dongle for my old mouse and found that it worked fine, but unfortunately I dont have a BT keyboard.  HP Tech Support told me that this sometimes happens with refurbished units - they forget to install the wireless transceiver when the put the box back together.  So now my question is can I get the same keyboard and mouse that came with my PC with a wireless dongle and where?  I looked on the HP site and cant find it there.  Any ideas?  Apparently any old dongle wont work with the keyboard and mouse I have.  They have to be a matched set.

HP Recommended

Wow, how unfortunate that we had not met before I tossed my keyboard, mouse and dongle. I need an ergonomic keyboard and mouse such as made by Logitech and so I tossed the original set that came with my new HP ENVY.  I ended up resorting to the far less than ideal solution of daisy-chaining multiple usb ports so I would not have to always reach around to the back of this large screen. Then I  hooked up my preferred keyboard and mouse with their different dongles. If both Logitech devices I loved came with the same dongle, that would have eliminated one, but I am mighty fussy. 

HP Recommended

Since my last post I discovered that the original wireless transceiver is actually installed inside the case.   I can see it listed in the Device Manager, but for some reason it is not activating or recognizing the keyboard and mouse it is paired with. 

I purchased a third party crappy keyboard and mouse at BestBuy for $30 just so I could get past the boot up screens and use this $2000 boat anchor.  What makes this even more frustrating is that HP is now telling me that the original warranty has expired and they wont talk to me until I fork over another $150 for a support call. 

Their own records show the original warranty start date on this unit was is 9/22/17 and end date 1/14/18.  That's less than 90 days.  They advertised a one year warranty when I bought this PC, so now I am doubly pissed off.

This is a gorgeous PC.  The best I have ever owned.  But just because it is refurbished should not absolve HP from standing behind their product and helping me fix what should be a really simple issue.  So, HP if you are listening, COME ON GUYS, DO THE RIGHT THING!!

HP Recommended

No you HP dullard. We have purchased the HP envy all in one PCs (in my case direct from HP) but the mouse and keyboard are pretty rubbish - especially the mouse. Since all the wireles mouse and keyboard sensors are inside the lovely slim base unit we need to replace them with HP compatible kit. Do you have better keyboard and mice that will work with our existing kit which will not involve us either adding a usb dongle (we spent a fortune on cool looking computers - do you really think we want dongles hanging off the thing) or opening the base unit to replace the sensor that sits inside. If anybody needs instructions on how to open the base unit up search on the internet for the 27" uncurved version and there is a good vid on utube. Now HP please answer the original question - do HP sell better keyboards and mice that will connect straight to our HP envy computers - binary choice - yes/no.

HP Recommended

Re my previous post - I thought I was replying to the HP employee that posted the much earlier reply saying that we should talk to the store re the keyboard and mouse, I was not calling anybody else a dullard!! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.