Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion HPE H8-1270ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been trying to upgrade my Graphics card. what tends to happen is the start up screen comes up its beeps and stopes.

This Product is H2R48EA#ABU MODEL H8-1270ea

If you any ideas as to what graphics card would fir and work an weather I need to update my bios.

I nee a new card as it keeps shutting down on me the Bios is 2012 and I don't think its the new system type.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That card should work with your PC's BIOS.

It is the newer GT 7xx and above models that won't work with an older BIOS like your PC has.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

You don't mention what model graphics card you are trying to install, but if it is anything newer than a Nvidia GT(X) 6xx or AMD Radeon HD 6xxx, it isn't going to work with the legacy BIOS your PC has.

Your BIOS can only be updated to v7.12, and in order to run any graphics card newer than one of the above models, your PC's BIOS has to be a v8.1x or newer.

HP Recommended

Hi Sorry the in is a GeForce GT545 its been in some time, the screen looses its signal so always need to hard restart.

Something I don't like doing, What I am looking for is the best possible card I can use on this system

HP Recommended

I guess you can go with the GT 640, GTX 650, GTX 660 or similar.  Nothing newer.

The GTX 650/GTX 660 would require a 6-pin supplemental power connector, so make sure your PC's power supply has one.

The GTX 660 takes up two mounting slots on the case.  I would measure the inside of the case and make sure the card will fit, if you decide to go with the GTX 660.

You will probably have to find cards like those on eBay.UK in used but tested and working condition.

HP Recommended

Sounds like a plan will look to see if I can find one. The pavilion does have a 6 pin Supply so that fine just getting my hands on one will be the issue. Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

Hi Again just wondering if I could use the Zotac GTX 650 Ti 2GB. Look at the Specs on this one but as per normal they never say what bios it will work on. Can you advise please

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That card should work with your PC's BIOS.

It is the newer GT 7xx and above models that won't work with an older BIOS like your PC has.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.