Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 795-0040XT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I need to replace my power supply for my HP Envy 795-0040XT (Product number: 4AB23AVT#ABA).

Should I just buy and replace it with any power supply (I would like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014W3EAX8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) or is there a specific type I should purchase?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

The 795 series PC has a HP proprietary motherboard and power supply. A retail power supply having a 24 pin motherboard connector is not going to work.

A 500 Watt HP power supply (HP part number L05757-800) is the maximum available for this system at this time. You can get this 500 watt HP power supply at HP Part Surfer (Link) if you now have a smaller PSU.

What PSU do you have now and why do you need a 750 watt PSU?

Regards

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

The 795 series PC has a HP proprietary motherboard and power supply. A retail power supply having a 24 pin motherboard connector is not going to work.

A 500 Watt HP power supply (HP part number L05757-800) is the maximum available for this system at this time. You can get this 500 watt HP power supply at HP Part Surfer (Link) if you now have a smaller PSU.

What PSU do you have now and why do you need a 750 watt PSU?

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your reply and advice Grzwacz!

It seems that my PSU is a 310 W however I need to change it basically because I realized the PSU fan does not work (I don't know when it stopped working or if it ever worked), and I think this could damage other components if the PSU fails. 

In addition, I think I will replace the included GTX1060 with a RTX2070 in the future, however, my urgent issue is to fix this problem, but I live in Mexico and noticed that this part is not sold here.

Do you know if I can buy another PSU here? (it does not matter if it is the same  310 W). Or what could I do?

Thanks in advance again!

HP Recommended

Hi Sigmapol,

You're very welcome.

Many newer power supplies have a passive fan mode.

The fan does not run unless the power supply is getting hot. I use passive fan mode power supplies in my PC builds.

The RTX 2070 requires a minimum 550 watt power supply. So this graphics card upgrade may not be an option for your PC unless HP adds more powerful power supply upgrade options. 

Sorry, I would not know how to get a replacement HP power supply that will work in your PC if HP does not offer the 500 watt version in Mexico. Maybe a different forum member can assist.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please see this forum (Link).

Maybe you do have a power supply problem.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks again @Grzwacz!

Maybe it is odd, but I have not experienced any other problem since about a month ago when I noticed the fan was not working. 

When I read your previous message related to passive fan mode I really thought that it was the cause, however, after reading the other forum  I'm even thinking of adding an external fan to the PSU since It seems that I don't have many options because the appropriate PSU is not sold in Mexico  😄 

Do you know if it is possible to identify if the PSU has a passive fan mode?

HP Recommended

@Grzwacz,

Apologies, I just realized that in fact you already answered my original question, so I will accept it as solution and will start a new thread for my other questions.

Thank you very much for all your help master!

HP Recommended

Hi Sigmapol,

You're very welcome.

HP does not provide much detail on components.

I don't know if your power supply has a passive (no fan mode).

It seems there may be a problem with the HP 310 watt power supply in the other thread; the fan is not running which may be causing that PC to shutdown. Most new power supplies have a thermal break point. The power supply terminates power to the system to prevent a thermal overload.

I can't say for sure your power supply is showing the same symptoms as the power supply in the linked thread.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot @Grzwacz!   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.