Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion a1747c
Microsoft Windows Vista

As the title said "will my psu still work by just flipping the red switch at the back of the pc?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello
I'm not sure I understand your question, and what you did
But if the mains voltage is 220v you must use the 220v psu
So if there is a 110 / 220v switch, it must be in the right position in relation to what is provided

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/bph04737

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I switched the red thing at the back of the psu to 110v instead of 220v. Then the psu sparks loudly and smells like burned but with no fire. Will my psu go back to normal by switching the red to 220v again?

HP Recommended

Oh, I didn't understand that it was that bad
Unfortunately I cannot answer this question ..
If the error lasted too long, the winding (the electric wire) can be melted inside.
If you turn on the power again there may be a short circuit, and there it could be dangerous
I advise you to consult a professional, if possible you should open to check the internal components!
Unfortunately I cannot offer you miracle solutions here, without being able to see the case directly, and again, I am not a technician
Take care of yourself

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Makuu,

You were supposed to pull the power cord from the PSU , and then flip the switch.

Unplug the power cord, unplug the 24pin and 4 pin power cables from the motherboard.

Test the PSU, does it turn on?

@Prométhée 

Here are pictures of the supply. It is a Bestec 300W.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Sorry @wb2001 
but I don't understand your intervention ..
Unless I am mistaken, from what I understood the user, it is wrong, no matter if the cord is put before or after, if he had plugged in afterwards, without realizing that the position was bad, it was the same thing !
For the image, I do not see it, and it would be of no use to me, what is needed is the interior of his power supply so that we can see if it is grilled.
That said, it might not help me to just see a photo!

I may not have understood, sorry?

"Unplug the power cord, unplug the 24pin and 4 pin power cables from the motherboard. "

Attention sorry, but this may not be a good idea!
If it is already a little burnt, it may catch fire.
Or try at least outside, with something to turn off if it starts to burn

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

@Prométhée,

Yes, I should have said remove the entire PSU then test by jumper4ing the pins.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.