Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitedesk 800 G1 twr
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP EliteDesk 800 G1
Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
8 GB ram

I have a terrible time waiting for programs to open and close, edit etc, particularly my adobe Creative suite programs like Indesign, photoshop, etc.

I was reading  that this computer has: 

"1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM;

(4)DIMM slots enabling up to 32GB, dual channel memory support2'
Dual Channel is only supported when the system is configured with DDR3 symmetric memory"

Is it possible to upgrade the ram? Do I need to make sure it is configured with DDR3 symmetric memory and if so, how, and what kind of memory should I purchase?

I did contact the company that does our computer work like networking, etc, and he said it wasn't so easy to do this.  and if we did it might not even help.  I just bought a new computer with 16 GB ram and its a huge difference in how the programs run with that 16 GB ram.

If I do this myself, are there good tutorials on how to do this myself?

Thanks,

lucy

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

It's very easy to upgrade the RAM in that system, you just slide the side panel off and pop in the new RAM.  You can find a complete breakdown of parts and information in the service manual for that computer, here.

• Maximum Memory:32GB
  • Standard Memory:4 or 8GB removable
  • Slots:4 (2 banks of 2)

Here's a link to compatible upgrades:  http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/hp-elitedesk-800-g1-tower

I want to mention that adding an SSD drive would show you much more of an increase in speed than adding more RAM to the system.  You'd need to buy an SSD and connect it, then use a disk cloning utility to clone your current disk to the new one (saves everything).

You also might want to update the system BIOS before making any hardware changes.  You can find the most recent system BIOS update here.

HP Recommended

The slowness I have is when trying to multitask and have 2-3 or more programs open at the same time, etc.  Frequently it gets so slow that i have to just ctrl alt del and stop them, but i can barely even get the task manager to open.

So if the programs say 8 GB recommended, and I am using several at the same time and are you saying that more ram probably wouldn't help, but getting a SSD would?

HP Recommended

@lucy12187 wrote:

The slowness I have is when trying to multitask and have 2-3 or more programs open at the same time, etc.  Frequently it gets so slow that i have to just ctrl alt del and stop them, but i can barely even get the task manager to open.

So if the programs say 8 GB recommended, and I am using several at the same time and are you saying that more ram probably wouldn't help, but getting a SSD would?

2GB is the min on those apps, so it really depends on how large the file is you're working with and what all applications you have running actively at the same time are.  Adding more RAM would help, yes...but I would think adding an SSD would help more or be more of a value than RAM.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  I guess the programs add up... Trend AV is running, outlook, a browser, indesign, word, excel... frequently all are running at the same time.

I have a couple of external drives connected - one has all my pictures and the other is just keeping things backed up.

I could probably handle installing the memory myself, not so sure abou the SSD.

I have about 99 GB free on my C drive.

If I get a SSD, do I have to reinstall all of my programs?

HP Recommended

@lucy12187 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I guess the programs add up... Trend AV is running, outlook, a browser, indesign, word, excel... frequently all are running at the same time.

I have a couple of external drives connected - one has all my pictures and the other is just keeping things backed up.

I could probably handle installing the memory myself, not so sure abou the SSD.

I have about 99 GB free on my C drive.

If I get a SSD, do I have to reinstall all of my programs?

No, the SSD should come with disk cloning software which is used to make an exact replica of the disk you're replacing.  You would connect both drives and use the software to copy one to the other, then remove the old drive and insert the new one in its spot.

HP Recommended

I purchased the ram from crucial. Can someone direct me to the best tutorial for adding it?

actually i think i found it in this manual.  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04331008

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Just be sure you remove the power cord from the unit before you insert the new modules.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

this was so easy. i didn't even need a screwdriver!

hopefully i will see a difference.

if i get brave enough maybe i will add a SSD harddrive. I know it won't be so simple. plus my computer is connected to a network.

HP Recommended

I did get an SSD and installed it and although it wasn't quite as simple as the memory, I DID IT.  I got a friend to help set up the old drive as extra storage.  For a minute my sound didn't work but I fixed that.  coming to work Monday morning wasn't so bad cause I knew I had a MUCH faster computer to work on!

the only issue i had was i ordered an HP bracket and screws cause that's what the site I ordered the drive from said I needed to do, but I really didn't have to do that.  So I'm sending them back and they're charging a restocking fee, plus i'm put the shipping.  But still i saved a LOT of money doing it myself instead of paying someone to do it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.