Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 550-270st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HI,

I have a Desktop with 

- 232 GB SSD

- 1 TB HDD

Can I upgrade to have a bigger SSD installed inside?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Sorry...

1.82 TB HDD

HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to upgrade to a 1 TB M.2 SSD.

Just make sure you get the same type as the one in there now (SATA or NVMe).

HP Recommended
Spoiler
Hello,
Thanks for your answer. You say "you should be able", is there any way to be absolutely shure about this? I don't want to buy one and then having problems of compatibility. Thanks.
HP Recommended

Hello,
Thanks for your answer. You say "you should be able", is there any way to be absolutely shure about this? I don't want to buy one and then having problems of compatibility. Thanks.

If this isn't a shure thing. What would be my best option? An M.2 interface? Maybe a pci-e card with an external USB-C port?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

If it is actually an M.2 , can it handle 2 TB?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

That I don't know.

Probably.

You need to remove the 250 GB M.2 SSD and make sure which type it is--SATA or NVMe.

SATA M.2 drives have two notches cut into the contacts and NVMe have one notch.

A 2 TB SSD will cost over a couple hundred USD, so make sure you get the right type.

HP Recommended

I have one more question please, documentation says I cannot upgrade more than 16 Gb RAM, is there a way around this?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Even the Crucial memory report indicates the max memory is 2 x 8 GB, so I doubt you can go beyond that.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hP---Compaq/pavilion-550-270st

The processor and chipset would support 2 x 16 GB of memory, but it would be a complete gamble on your part to try it, since HP and Crucial say no.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.