Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

The system had a single 16GB DIMM in first slot.  I removed that DIMM and installed a 32GB Crucial kit (on list of compatible parts) that is two identical 16GB DIMMs.  I know it's the right type of module, because I can use EITHER new 16GB DIMM just fine, as long as I just use 1 DIMM in the first slot.  When I install both DIMMs and power on that I get 3 long beeps, followed by what seems like 2 more long beeps, but they sound different and slightly shorter and don't sound like the typical "short beeps" I've heard from POST error beep codes in the past.  Any ideas or suggestion for a solution would be greatly appreciate!  I fear that this 2nd slot has been broken from the very beginning, and I just didn't find out until I tried to use it.  But, I hope I am wrong about this, because I am out of warranty.

PC:

OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-0024

Model:  Desktop 875-0024

RAM:

Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 32GB (16GBx2) CL16 BL2K16G32C16U4B

Thanks in advance!

-TSForrest

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@TSForrest , welcome back to the forum.

You are absolutely correct that the Crucial Memory should work.  It is recommended on their website:  https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/omen-obelisk-875-0024

As you no doubt are aware, if Crucial recommends one of their products, it is guaranteed to work.  I suggest that you contact their Tech Support to see if they can help you solve your problem.  They are the experts on their products.

The only other suggestion that I will make is, you can try updating the BIOS/UEFI to see if that helps:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/omen-by-hp-875-0000-obelisk-desktop-pc-se...

It doesn't mention anything about memory in the fixes, but sometimes it can solve more than one problem.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the suggestion, Old_Geekster!

I might contact Crucial to see if they have any ideas to try, but I have a feeling this PC had a damaged 2nd DIMM slot from the very beginning.  The documentation shows it has 2x8GB DIMM modules, but mine had a single 16GB module.  I bought this HP as a "certified refurbished", but I have a feeling that the reason it was returned might have been because of the bad DIMM slot, and when they tried a single 16GB module, that works, so they called it "fixed".  I had not even opened the case on this PC until I tried to installed the memory.  When I look really closely, it looks like one of the first 2 pins are bent in the socket/slot.

I have my doubts that I'll be able to fix it.  I just hope I might be able to buy a new case and motherboard, and use the HP branded video card, power supply, and everything else.  I went from being really excited, to really bummed.  Now, I am getting tired of talking to my twitch community about the pitfalls of buying certified refurbished products, and I think they are tired of hearing the story!   I thought I was being thrifty, but now I am paying the price, literally.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @TSForrest!  Sometimes saving money is okay, but sometimes it can be a problem.  I have never been a fan of refurbished anything.  As you stated, there was a reason it had to be refurbed.  Good luck!

I had a DFI LanParty motherboard that had four slots and I could never get it to run with two sticks.  No matter what I tried.  Who knows what causes these type of proplems.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.