Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-214
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've been banging my head for one (1) week trying to install a GT 710 Graphics Card with support from HP, PNY & Nvidia.  I gave up and took the GT 710 back to Best Buy, whom wanted $40.00 to install.

I then purchased a GT 1030 and came home to install that, knowing that it was UEFI supported and meets my power supply requirements of 300 Watts.  I'm not going to be gaming, just media center for TV connection with HDMI.

I again dealt with the failure of the Graphics Card to show images on the monitor.  I again relied on assistance from HP, PNY & Nvidia Tech Support and/or Forum.  Still nothing, even when I was instructed to disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy.

My Solution:

1.  Unplug the Power Cord from the PC. Press the Power start button in the front of the PC.

2.  Open the side cover of the PC case.

3.  Touch the Power Supply, to ground yourself.

4.  Remove the PCI bracket holder from the back to the PC case that secures the PCI cards to the back to the case.

5.  Remove the blank PCI bracket cover.

6.  Install the new Graphics Card, making sure to not touch the gold contacts, into the PCI Express x 16 2.0 slot & makes sure it is secure in that slot.

7.  Connect the DVI cord from the monitor to the DVI connection port on the new GT 1030 Graphics Card.

8.  Find the CMOS Jumper.

9.  Pull the jumper from the 1&2 position and place the jumper on the 2&3 position for a few seconds, then place the jumper back to the original 1&2 position.

10. Install the PCI bracket holder.

11.  Plug in the Power Cord to the PC Power Supply Unit.

12.  Press the power button on the front of the PC.

13.  My computer showed boot startup post and went into windows 10 Home Password request.

14.  I went into Nvidia to download the software I needed and the Monitor controll panel to setup my displays to my preference.

15.  I shut down the PC.

16.  I then installed the PC case side cover and tightened the screw.

17. Finished and working fine.

The funny thing of this, was at no time did any of the support teams, suggest to reset the CMOS on the Motherboard.  LOL, I should have know to do this from the old days of installing HDD's.

Best of Luck,

RJPaul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Good show!:smileyhappy:

Interesting comment about clearing the CMOS. PNY should have been on top of that suggestion.  It's typically not a required procedure.  I seldom resort to that suggestion to clear the CMOS as it's rarely needed with new graphics cards on HP PCs.  Still, it's something to keep on the list.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Good show!:smileyhappy:

Interesting comment about clearing the CMOS. PNY should have been on top of that suggestion.  It's typically not a required procedure.  I seldom resort to that suggestion to clear the CMOS as it's rarely needed with new graphics cards on HP PCs.  Still, it's something to keep on the list.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Likewise, @Big_Dave.  I don't believe that I have ever had to clear the CMOS when installing a video card and I have installed a lot of them.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended
Yeah, I remember that I had to perform the BIOS reset for other hardware, back in the day. I didn't have anything to lose. It sets everything back to a fresh boot and allows the BIOS to see new hardware. I suppose I was just spoiled by the new technology and haven't had to perform a RESET in such a long time. I hope this can help others with the same trouble that I was having to install a graphics card in a HP PC. Best of Luck to Ya'll, RJPaul
HP Recommended
Product Name: Elitedesk 800 G2 Tower
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello guys,

I have a HP Elitedesk 800 G2 Twr and I am trying to update my system by putting a new Graphic Card -  MSI GTX 1060.

My problem is that I can not do this.  My system do not see the new graphic card !!!

From what I see from another topics : 

1. I need to disable onboard graphic card - I tried to do this but I can not or maybe I do not know enough ( I tryied to do this from BIOS but this version of BIOS is very new for me and I do not know were is this function to disable it ). I try to change the priority but I can not find to change from integrated to PCIe - nothing.

2. Another thing was to update my BIOS version ( I think if I do this the windows will recognize automatically the new graphic card ) - I did this, initialy I had NO1 Ver 02.17, and I updated to NO1 Ver 02.27 ( the latest version finded on HP site ) - nothing

3. I made CMOS reset - nothing.

4. I disable the onboard video card from Safe Mode - nothing

Can you guys please give me a ideea or something ? Or somebody face with this problem in the past ?

Sorry for my off topic but I am a little bit disperate with this !

Thanks a lot for helping me !!

HP Recommended
It's funny, just this past February I had a "computer-won't-boot" experience that I finally solved by clearing the CMOS. In my case I was working inside it, and reinstalled all of the same hardware, but something I did along the way made it unhappy.

Same as you, it took me FOREVER to think of doing it. I can't even remember how long ago it was that I previously had to resort to that fix.
HP Recommended

@Baahubali,

I know your post is a few months old, but I wanted to add some input for others who might have the same issue.

@Baahubali              My problem is that I can not do this.  My system do not see the new graphic card !!!

From what I see from another topics : 

1. I need to disable onboard graphic card 

I honestly don't think you do, in fact it can be MUCH easier to get a new video card set up if you DON'T disable the onboard card.

My steps for installing a PCIe GPU  in a desktop with onboard video are usually:

1.  Physically install the card
  2. Boot w/ the monitor connected to the onboarding GPU
  3. Once Windows comes up, install the drivers for the new card
  4. If I have a second monitor, connect it to the new card and enable both screens in Windows.
  5. Only then, disable the onboard GPU and let the PCIe card take over as primary.

I don't know who was telling you that you had to disable the onboard to get the new card working, but I can't think of a single reason why that would be true. Windows certainly supports running multiple video cards at once, and the BIOS doesn't care if there are two installed, only which one it should direct its output to when booting the system. It's much easier to get a new card set up if it's not the one you're relying on for the computer's display yet.

HP Recommended
P.S.: When I finally DID want to disable the onboard GPU, in my HP Compaq 6200 Pro MT with the Aptio Setup Utility 2.10 by AMI, the option for doing that was found in Advanced > Device Options > Integrated Video in the BIOS. You definitely don't need to do anything in Windows or Safe Mode if you're going to disable the GPU in the BIOS, when the computer starts it won't be there anymore and Windows will automatically switch to the PCIe as primary.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.