Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 6005 Pro
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently been given an older HP desktop and have mostly upgraded most of the hardware. I am trying to identify the best USB 3 card to install as this is an older PC I'm unsure of compatibility. The machine has numerous USB ports but im wanting ideally to run two monitor's and the second monitor will not function correctly on a USB 2/HDMI connect.

Id be grateful for any advice on the above, I have seen some cards on Amazon/Ebay but again unsure - can I just purchase a USB 3 card, install into the PCI slot and wella? Or is this amore in-depth issue requiring maybe a upgraded video card as well?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Al1411 , welcome to the forum.

Which version of the Compaq 6005 Pro is yours: Microtower, Ultra-slim Desktop or Small Form Factor?  This will make a difference as to which cards you can use.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi Oldgesser, thanks for welcome.

The Hp I’m using is a small form and am just wanting to know a good easily installable USB 3 card.

Appreciate you getting back to me

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Al1411!  Thank you for the additional information.

Here is an adapter that is made by StarTech:  https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/7-port-pci-express-usb-3-card~PEXUSB3S7

It can be used for a low-profile installation which is what you will need.  StarTech makes very good products.  They do make adapters with fewer ports if you don't need this many.  If you want further information about their products, you can contact their Tech Support by using the Chat Live option on their website.  I use it all of the time and their Techs are very helpful.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.