1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

Installing a 2nd NVMe SSD in 2nd M.2 slot on Shire Z390 PC motherboard

HP Recommended
Omen by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-1040st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a question about my HP Omen Obelisk Desktop 875-1040st (product number 6FH15AV). I purchased the PC with ONE 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD (containing the OS). The motherboard (Shire Z390 PC) has a second M.2 slot for a NVMe SSD. This slot is covered with a plastic cover (labelled SSD2). I would like to install a 2nd NVMe SSD in this slot. However, due to the fact that the option to install a 2nd drive was not available during configuration with HP and some confusing comments I have read online about users who have installed a 2nd SSD in this slot and have experienced issues has left me wondering if this is okay. Can anyone confirm that this M.2 slot is available for use and their won't be any surprises? Furthermore, are there any limitations on SSD size, or particular manufacturers I should avoid?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
11,875 11,682 1,610 4,451
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Jezako,

According to the options page, is is allowed.  Discussion on how to add the M.2 SSD.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
Highlighted
Level 5
231 224 16 38
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your hardware options are here.

It lists your secondary hard drive options as:

128 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

256 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (3.5 in)

2 TB 7200 rpm HDD (3.5 in)

3 TB 7200 rpm HDD (3.5 in)

This is a compiled list of drives they've tested and confirmed to work, more than anything else.

Also keep in mind you have an absolute TON of options for internal/external drives as well.

That ssd cover should have under it a piece of foam rubber you have to peel off because of the glue.

Other than that it's plug and play.

*Please check HP's website for safety precautions during upgrades such as removing the power cord after shut down and buying an anti-static wristband when you buy your ssd.

*Just a community member, not an HP employee.
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation