Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP pavilion slimline s5503w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I have looked everywhere for an answer. I've seen this common problem with no clear solution.

I have bought a GT730 GPU and an Athena 400w PSU to put my slimline on triple monitors.

My computer will not recognize my GPU whatsoever. I've tried to disable the on-board graphics. I've set the bios to prioritize the PCI slot, and specifically x16. I can't install the drivers because it just doesn't recognize it. I don't know what's wrong. The PC works just fine, the 730's fan will spin, but it won't switch over or recognize it. Please help me figure this out.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@athenaaaa,

Your problem is a mis-match.  The slimline s5503w is circa Apr 2010, with what is called a 'legacy BIOS". The new GT730 is circa Jun 2014, with what is called "UEFI vBIOS".  These 2 are in conflict.  You need a GPU card that was released prior to July 2012 to be safe.

It would be of great benefit if you would state your intented goal.  Is there a specific game?  That single core Sempron processor is not much of a game CPU.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@athenaaaa,

Your problem is a mis-match.  The slimline s5503w is circa Apr 2010, with what is called a 'legacy BIOS". The new GT730 is circa Jun 2014, with what is called "UEFI vBIOS".  These 2 are in conflict.  You need a GPU card that was released prior to July 2012 to be safe.

It would be of great benefit if you would state your intented goal.  Is there a specific game?  That single core Sempron processor is not much of a game CPU.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended
Ah I thought it was compatible, just overlooked the bios. I didn't know about that. I'm just trying to set up a tri monitor for a presentation computer, not to game on. What cards would you recommend?
HP Recommended

@athenaaaa,

This VisonTek card 5450 might meet your requirements, READ all descriptions, best of all it's a SFF card.    It's WIN 7, 3 DVI-D monitors.  Only needs 20W.  Found it here, you can google the card and look for prices.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended
I've been looking around on other forums and they say most newer cards should support the legacy BIOS.

Anyway, I'm not sure what descriptions, or what in them I should be looking for. Even on the GeForce website for the gt730, it says nothing about the UEFI BIOS.

I'd also like to find one that utilizes my 400w so I don't have to return it lmao
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

@athenaaaa,

Your motherboard is not UEFI.  You must use a Legacy card.  The 400W PSU is OK.  If your satisified, please mark as a Solution.  If not, I will endeavor to help.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended
Thank you so much for helping. I'll find a legacy card for it with tri monitor support.
HP Recommended
I'm still trying to find a decent card for this. Sorry for the bump but I want to make sure.

Is a GT530 or a GT545 compatible? Or what would be best?

The one you linked above seems to have resolution issues so I want to search for something else.
HP Recommended
Is a GT 610 compatible aswell?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.