Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 600 G2 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've just purchased an HP ProDesk 600 G2 SFF believing this PC has an m.2 port for an PCIe NVMe SSD drive but it turned out it doesn't. When I was reading about the specs on HP website, before purchasing I somehow missed the part where it says it's actually a PCIe card not an m.2 port. While purchasing the PC, I also purchased a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe ssd 😕

Now my question is, can I use the following PCIe expansion card and use that ssd as a bootable drive? I will be dual booting using a SATA 3 SSD for Windows 10 and this NVMe drive for BSD.

Llink for the expansion card

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pro-M-2-NVMe-SSD-NGFF-TO-PCIE-3-0-X16-X4-Adapter-M-Key-Interface-Card-Fu...

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank You. I've actually bought two SSDs and an expansion card and they seem to work (PCIe SSD is the Samsung one I mentioned in my original post) and a Crucial MX500 250GB SATA 3 SSD. I haven't installed the Operating Systems yet. But they do show up on the boot menu. Once I've installed the OSs I will report back so that may help someone else in the same situation.

Instead of going for the generic expansion card I mentioned in my first post, I purchased a different one only because I didn't like the look of the cirucit board that's sold on ebay. At least for an extra $20 something I get warranty for the part plus the product quality is far superior.

Here's the PCIe expansion card I purchased. https://www.ramcity.com.au/accessories/adapters/m.2-pcie-pcie/DT-120

As for the gen 3 not supporting, according the HP product page that I linked in my previous post  it does indeed support Gen 3. Here I've copied the following from the product page.

HP 512 GB Turbo Drive G2 SSD-M.2 PCIe Card

512 GB
Solid State Drive M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe; NVMe 1.1a Compliant
Interface
M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe
Form factor
M.2 2280 DS

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Generally, when a motherboard does not support the M.2 NVME PCIe architecture a PCIe M.2 expansion card will not be bootable. It should work as a data storage device. SATA storage devices are supported.

You would have to try the expansion card to see if you can use this to boot the PC.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks. According the following link you could get this specific pc from HP with an m.2 pcie ssd card. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04920435

One of those HP provides is HP 512 GB Turbo Drive G2 SSD-M.2 PCIe Card. It's an M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe

If that's the case shouldn't it support a third party expansion card? I know I could try but if that doesn't work I'll be wasting over $100. That's why I wanted to know if it will work. Is there anyway I could contact HP directly regarding this question as you could with Apple?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

You can contact HP Support at this (Link).

I see the PCIe M.2 support. Support is limited to Gen 2 PCIe speeds. A 3.0 PCIe device should work but at slightly slower speeds.

Try the expansion card. You might want to update the BIOS to the latest BIOS.

The PC should boot to a PCIe M.2 drive connected to a expansion card if the BIOS supports booting to PCIe devices.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank You. I've actually bought two SSDs and an expansion card and they seem to work (PCIe SSD is the Samsung one I mentioned in my original post) and a Crucial MX500 250GB SATA 3 SSD. I haven't installed the Operating Systems yet. But they do show up on the boot menu. Once I've installed the OSs I will report back so that may help someone else in the same situation.

Instead of going for the generic expansion card I mentioned in my first post, I purchased a different one only because I didn't like the look of the cirucit board that's sold on ebay. At least for an extra $20 something I get warranty for the part plus the product quality is far superior.

Here's the PCIe expansion card I purchased. https://www.ramcity.com.au/accessories/adapters/m.2-pcie-pcie/DT-120

As for the gen 3 not supporting, according the HP product page that I linked in my previous post  it does indeed support Gen 3. Here I've copied the following from the product page.

HP 512 GB Turbo Drive G2 SSD-M.2 PCIe Card

512 GB
Solid State Drive M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe; NVMe 1.1a Compliant
Interface
M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe
Form factor
M.2 2280 DS

Thanks

HP Recommended

I'm happy to inform it was succesful. I can dual boot now. Thanks for your assistance. 

Edit: Added this screenshot to show it runs at full PCIe speed (I had to format the nvme ssd as E: to run this test on Windows )

Capture.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.