Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
All in One 24-g237c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My webcam was not working. I followed a couple tutorials and now it is completely gone from my device manager and nothing will detect it. Please help! 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @aroakes, Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Do you see the webcam drivers listed in the device manager?

Excellent description and a great diagnosis done. It is greatly appreciated.

Try updating the BIOS and webcam drivers on the PC and check if it helps.

Update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Update the chipset drivers using this link. Click Here

You can update other drivers on the PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant.

Try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
Double-click Imaging Devices to expand the list of webcam drivers.
If there is no Imaging devices category listed in Device Manager, stop using these steps and see the section Webcam is not listed in Device Manager in this document.
If more than one webcam driver is listed, right-click the driver and select uninstall for any driver that is not the HP Webcam-101 or Microsoft USB Video Device driver. Once the other drivers have been removed, restart your computer and open your software. If problems persist, continue using these steps.
Right-click the name of the webcam in the Images Devices category (HP Webcam-101 or Microsoft USB Video Device), and select Update Driver Software.
Click Browse the computer to select a specific USB Video Device driver.
Double-click Imaging Devices to expand the list of webcam drivers, right-click the webcam driver, and then select Properties.
Make a note of the existing name of the webcam driver (Example: HP Webcam), as it might change after the update.
On the Webcam Properties window, select Update Driver....
Select to Browse the computer for the desired driver.
Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
Remove the selection from Show compatible hardware.
Select Microsoft in the Manufacturer field, and select USB Video Device in the Model field.
Click Next to install the webcam driver.
Allow the installation of the USB Video Device, and then click Close.
After the device has been updated to USB Video Device in Device Manager, restart your computer and open your software.
If problems persist, install the latest BIOS update from HP and get all the latest Windows updates from Microsoft.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

1.    Navigate to Control Panel, Hardware and Sound and Power Options.
2.    Select ‘Change power settings’ next to the active power plan.
3.    Select ‘Change advanced power settings’ text link.
4.    Select ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable’.
5.    Find Graphics Settings or PCI Express and Link State Power Management and set to Maximum performance, depending on what computer you have.
6.    Find Wireless Adapter Settings and set to Maximum performance.
7.    Reboot your computer and retest.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot webcam issues with your laptop. Click Here

Also, try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Nothing thus far as helped. But thank you for your help!

HP Recommended

@aroakes,

As you have issues after trying out the steps.

It is certainly a hardware issue with the PC. Please contact HP support for service options.

Contact HP support using this link. Click Here

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.