Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
M01-F1014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, yeah. Basically the title.  The power supply burned out in my old desktop, and I thought this system looked like a decent upgrade for a great price.  Better processor speed, still had a full slot for a dedicated graphics card, so I could just yank the card out of my old computer.  Now I'm just trying to figure out the power supply issue.

GTX 1060 says it wants a minimum 400w power supply.  The desktop came with 180w.  

I see the power supply has 3 connectors coming from it. P1 is a 2x2 configuration. P2 is a 7x1 configuration, although there are only 4 wires on the line and 3 of the pins are untouched. I'm guessing that is the part that is proprietary to HP?  And P3 is a 2x2 configuration.  The graphics card will need a 3x2 configuration.  

Does HP make a compatible 500w power supply that will have all the connectors needed to make this happen and fit the case?  I had called the HP tech support line, but I'm not positive whether or not the CSR understood the question about looking for a compatible power supply. He said the card was compatible with the system and that I could get any power supply; I'm unclear on whether that's actually the case.

Edit: If it helps, on the HP Support Assist, it says the Product number is 13Z80AA#ABA

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@old_geekster did you delete your message? Because I see one in my email, but I can't see anything on this thread in order to offer you a kudos.

I took a look at the power supply you had mentioned (L05757-800)

I think I'm going to give that a whirl and I'll update this with news.

It definitely looks like it should do the trick. All the connectors look good.   Part of me is wondering if the p2 connection will be long enough; the image I saw it looked like the p2 wire was fairly short. But that may have just been a quirk of how the image was taken and not indicative of what the power supply actually offers.

I appreciate your time and expertise.  If I saw your reply and understood how to give a thumbs up, I would. 

HP Recommended

@Speakslittle 

Yes, I did delete my post.  After I got to thinking about my answer, I wasn't certain that it was correct.  Yours is the only TG01 series that has the BakerMS motherboard.  I couldn't find enough information about it to convince me that the 500W would be compatible.  I don't want you to buy something and have to return it.

If you are willing to take the chance and won't shoot the messenger, it could just work.  Here is a Power Supply Cross-Reference Chart that one of our Experts made for all of the series with the 4-pin power connectors: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Power-Supply-Cross-Reference-for-specific-model...

He did a lot of great work to put it together, but the BakerMS motherboard is new enough that he didn't have any information on it.  The only other Baker motherboard is in the TE01 series.  It is not the MS version.  It has the 400W PSU with the 1x6+2 power connector.

The decision is yours if to buy the 500W PSU to try it.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

A guinea pig I shall be.  I'll post an update when it arrives and I put it through some basic paces.  🙂

HP Recommended

@Speakslittle 

I don't believe that you are too much of a guinea pig.  However, I know that wb2001 will be pleased to get the information from you for his chart one way or another.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

i found this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bBeAE0WnsQ ) the guy is trying to power his CPU which uses a 4 pin connector, the psu that he bought only has an 8 pin connector but the psu has the option to break the 8 pin into a 4 pin. Maybe this method can work to power the motherboard and obviously the CPU (assuming that that end has enough power for the motherboard and the cpu at the same time)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.