Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm thinking about purchase these.

Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe

EZDIY-FAB PCI Express M.2 SSD NGFF PCIe Card to PCIe 3.0 x4 M2 Adapter

I have update the Bios to the latest version that's available for Z800. What are you thoughts? Will it work? I'm thinking of using it has a boot drive. What are some things that I should pay attention to when doing this?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

The Z800 looks to be a Legacy system.

You need native M.2 support to use a M.2 PCIe drive such as a Samsung 970 as a boot drive. 

You can add a PCIe to M.2 adapter but may be limited to only using the 970 as a data drive.

There may be a workaround but I am not aware of any way to do this.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Grzwacz,     You are correct.

@chucklor, Thank you for your links. Your theory is excellent. but had an issue.

"A NVMe based M.2 SSD is different than a AHCI based M.2 SSD..... The BIOS of the Z600/Z400/Z800 does not support NVMe". The source of this comment can be found here.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I got it installed but when I try to install Windows, I got this message. Based on the link you provide above, I assumed there is no way to make it a bootable drive then, correct?

windows-install.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi,

The error message in your last post confirms your PC cannot boot to a 970 installed in a PCIe/M.2 adapter.

Your PC's BIOS does not support this function.

Regards

HP Recommended

@chucklor,

Apparently you did not fully understand the link I posted. You system does not accept NVMe as a boot device.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I've read that some people use Clover boot manager to make it work and I've also seen this YouTube video regarding similar error. However, I don't know their hardware spec.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.