Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Slimline 450-a161na Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, what upgrades can I give to a HP Slimline 450-a161na Desktop PC?

I'm especially interested in knowing if it's possible

to somehow add either a laptop GPU or low profile desktop GPU graphics card, or external GPU to this desktop PC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@gamingcpu , welcome to the forum.

The Slimline models aren't actually meant to upgrade.  The cases are simply too small to allow for good airflow.  Here is the Motherboard Specifications page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-slimline-450-a100-desktop-pc-series/8667915/document/c044390...

If you look at the section titled "Expansion Slots" you will see that there is no PCI Express x16 slot listed.  This means a discrete video card can't be added.

I wish that I had better news for you!

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@gamingcpu , welcome to the forum.

The Slimline models aren't actually meant to upgrade.  The cases are simply too small to allow for good airflow.  Here is the Motherboard Specifications page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-slimline-450-a100-desktop-pc-series/8667915/document/c044390...

If you look at the section titled "Expansion Slots" you will see that there is no PCI Express x16 slot listed.  This means a discrete video card can't be added.

I wish that I had better news for you!

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Ok thank you. 🙂

So even if there was a way to connect a GPU (like an external GPU?)

would there be enough power? I don't know what PSU wattage this desktop uses.

One more thing, is it possible to add a second hard drive? (3.5" or 2.5") ?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @gamingcpu!

I didn't even mention the fact that the power adapter is only 65W.   This definitely is not enough to run any type of external video card.

Personally, I would buy a standard Hard Drive (HDD) or a standard Solid-State Drive (SSD).  You could use an adapter to connect it to the computer: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATA-USB-Cable-USB3S2SAT3CB/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild...

I have two USB HDD's and a Samsung 840 EVO.  I connect the HDD's to the computer using the standard USB connectors, but use the adapter in my link that I provided to connect my 840 EVO.  The 840 EVO (2.5") is small and I connect it only when I want to use it.  It doesn't have an enclosure and stores easily without taking a lot of space.  I have Windows 10 on it and actually boot from it.  I like these options better in a small case because the drive doesn't block airflow.  I have used these drives for many years.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.