Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gamingcpu
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Is it possible to upgrade HP Slimline 450-a161na Desktop PC with a dedicated GPU?

HP Recommended
HP Slimline 450-a161na Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, what upgrades can I give to a HP Slimline 450-a161na Desktop PC?

I'm especially interested in knowing if it's possible

to somehow add either a laptop GPU or low profile desktop GPU graphics card, or external GPU to this desktop PC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,187 24,655 2,906 10,818
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gamingcpu , welcome to the forum.

The Slimline models aren't actually meant to upgrade.  The cases are simply too small to allow for good airflow.  Here is the Motherboard Specifications page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-slimline-450-a100-desktop-pc-series/8667915/document/c044390...

If you look at the section titled "Expansion Slots" you will see that there is no PCI Express x16 slot listed.  This means a discrete video card can't be added.

I wish that I had better news for you!

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
3 REPLIES 3
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gamingcpu , welcome to the forum.

The Slimline models aren't actually meant to upgrade.  The cases are simply too small to allow for good airflow.  Here is the Motherboard Specifications page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-slimline-450-a100-desktop-pc-series/8667915/document/c044390...

If you look at the section titled "Expansion Slots" you will see that there is no PCI Express x16 slot listed.  This means a discrete video card can't be added.

I wish that I had better news for you!

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

View solution in original post

gamingcpu
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok thank you. 🙂

So even if there was a way to connect a GPU (like an external GPU?)

would there be enough power? I don't know what PSU wattage this desktop uses.

One more thing, is it possible to add a second hard drive? (3.5" or 2.5") ?

Thanks.

old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @gamingcpu!

I didn't even mention the fact that the power adapter is only 65W.   This definitely is not enough to run any type of external video card.

Personally, I would buy a standard Hard Drive (HDD) or a standard Solid-State Drive (SSD).  You could use an adapter to connect it to the computer: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATA-USB-Cable-USB3S2SAT3CB/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild...

I have two USB HDD's and a Samsung 840 EVO.  I connect the HDD's to the computer using the standard USB connectors, but use the adapter in my link that I provided to connect my 840 EVO.  The 840 EVO (2.5") is small and I connect it only when I want to use it.  It doesn't have an enclosure and stores easily without taking a lot of space.  I have Windows 10 on it and actually boot from it.  I like these options better in a small case because the drive doesn't block airflow.  I have used these drives for many years.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation