Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 490 G3 MT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I'm thinking of buying a HP ProDesk 490 G3 MT with a SSD hard drive. 

I need to have more storage on the computer so I want to insert an extra hard drive. 

- Is there place in the cabinet for an extra hard drive? 

- Which hard drive would you recommend me to buy? 

//Harry 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, it is possible to insert a second hard drive (as long as it isn't the mini desktop version). 

Recommendations, I guess it depends how much space you need. Personally I like the drives from Seagate which have always worked well for me. So for general computer use I would recommend Seagate Barracuda which you can get in all sizes at a good price.

You can also get the primary ssd drive as an M2 drive which will be a lot faster and will give extra room for even more storage.

Hope it helps,

David

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, it is possible to insert a second hard drive (as long as it isn't the mini desktop version). 

Recommendations, I guess it depends how much space you need. Personally I like the drives from Seagate which have always worked well for me. So for general computer use I would recommend Seagate Barracuda which you can get in all sizes at a good price.

You can also get the primary ssd drive as an M2 drive which will be a lot faster and will give extra room for even more storage.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Yes, that version supports the extra hard drive.

All the best,

David

HP Recommended

Great, thank you. 

I'm also not sure what type of hard drive that fits. 

SATA 2.5" or SATA 3.5" ...

HP Recommended

As part of your research, you can always review the Support information, before purchase.

HP ProDesk 490 G3 Minitower

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-prodesk-490-g3-microtower-pc/7633358

ProDesk 490 G3 MT : Hardware Guide

Turn to page 19 for all your storage options (ODD, HDD, SSD)

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04830830

IF you need to install a 2.5" HDD or SSD at the 3.5" storage location, within the ProDesk 490 G3 MT,  THEN acquire HP part number: 654540-001

This adapter, mfg. in China for HP Enterprises, is available via Amazon and numerous Shenzhen, China vendors.  It is a useful part for storage flexibility.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.