Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 600 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Purchased two brand new HP 24mq monitors and an HDMI to display port adapters as the PC only has one HDMI slot.

I plugged the monitors in, and although they work the resolution wasn’t great and hard on the eyes. Tried all the troubleshooting using the recommended settings, and the monitors just don’t fill the screen. (They’re both HP too connecting to an HP computer). Both monitors 1920 x 1200 which is the recommended setting.

As an extra troubleshooting method today, I unplugged one of the monitors and connected it up with an HDMI cable, and bang – it was like a whole new monitor!

So, now we have one monitor that isn’t straining the eyes and has a resolution of 2560 x 1440, but the other which is still connected by the display port is still 1920 x 1200 and not filling the entire monitor.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Is this your computer:  https://www8.hp.com/h20195/V2/GetPDF.aspx/c06640111

Are you using:  Integrated Graphics 
Intel® UHD Graphics 630 (integrated on 10th gen Core i7/i5/i3 processors
and Pentium® Gold G-6600, G-6500, and G-6500T)
Intel® UHD Graphics 610 (integrated on Pentium® Gold G-6400, G-6400T)

or one of the Optional Discrete Graphics Solutions 
AMD® Radeon™ RX 550X 4GB FH DP+HDMI
AMD® Radeon™ R7 430 2GB DP+VGA
AMD® Radeon™ R7 430 2GB 2DP
AMD® Radeon™ 520 1GB VGA+DP
AMD® Radeon™ 630 with 2GB GDDR5**
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 super 8GB DP+HDMI+DVI-D

?

HP Recommended

Hello and thanks for getting back to me,

Yes, with the link that you sent that does appear to be our PC.

Just checking the HP Support Assistant and in regards to the video, it says "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630" Version 27.20.100.8984 (19/11/2020)

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hello,

Just following up on a response, please.

We haven't heard anything from HP for a few days.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Is this your monitor: HP 24mq 23.8-inch Display Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Its recommended resolution is: 2560 x 1440.

Is that what it is using?

the other which is still connected by the display port is still 1920 x 1200 and not filling the entire monitor

This seems like Windows is "drawing" on a 1920 x 1200 window, and the monitor is "painting" that window into the left-side of the 2560 x 1440 screen.

Can you use "Display Settings" within Windows to tell Windows to "draw" on the full-size window?

HP Recommended

Hi Itsmyname,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, the monitors that we have are the ones in the link that you included. 7XM24AA.

Not quite sure what you mean by changing Windows settings between "paint" and "draw".

I've attached a couple of screenshots.

As you can see with the monitor that is attached via Display Port I can't achieve the recommended resolution of 2560 x 1440 which is what we're after.

Thanks again

Monitor plugged in with Display PortMonitor plugged in with Display PortMonitor plugged in with HDMIMonitor plugged in with HDMIGraphics card via Device ManagerGraphics card via Device Manager

HP Recommended

I am thinking that the "integrated" video-adapter is restricting the DisplayPort socket to the lower resolution,

implying that you need to add-in a video-card.

Have you rebooted your computer, with only the DisplayPort being active & "in-use" ?  Maybe, it is during Windows start-up processing when the "display settings" screen has communicated with the monitor, to arrive at the "non-optimal" resolution.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I ended up taking the computer back to the store that I brought it from as it is under warranty.

They swapped the HDMI to Display Port adapter with an HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter - 4K and it's working fine now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.