Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 27-a275na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I loved the idea of a fast boot-up so bought this computer just over a year ago. It has 128GBSSD (C Drive) and 1TB on D Drive. I naively thought that Windows would run on the C drive and everything else would be on D drive but within months I had memory warnings and realised all the junk that comes with the computer and everything since was on C drive.

I deleted software I didn't want, uninstalled and reinstalled some software on D Drive and already store all my documents, movies and pictures on external drives. I had managed to clear 40GB of my 128GB but I notice that even doing the above the spare space is again shrinking on the C Drive and was down to 15GB until I uninstalled some more stuff. Yesterday it showed I had 37GB left but already today it's down to 32GB. The D drive is all but empty and hardly used.

I was advised to install a 256GBSSD but not sure what is best. Obviously I should have thought more carefully about what I needed the computer to do but I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas.

I have been keeping the drive clear of junk and temp files. The only recommendation I haven't followed is compressing OS files to free another 20GB or so as I I have been told it isn't wise (any suggestions there?).

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try performing disk cleanup through Windows, you might still have some old Windows 10 installation files on the PC.

So open any folder and right click on the c: drive. Click on Properties and then on  "Disk Cleanup" and let it calculate. In the next Window click on "Clean up system files" and wait for calculation. Make sure to check Windows Update files and also any older installation files.

You could also make sure that your Windows is the latest version (1809). Press WinKey+R and type winver

If you do not have the latest version it could be downloading in the background and that is why you see a lot of space being used from one day to another. So if you do not have the latest version, you can go to Microsoft page in the link below and click on Update Now.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After updating go into settings (update and security) and let the PC completely update (you might need to reboot a couple of times). Next of HP support assistant and update all HP drivers.

Once finished, perform Disk cleanup again as described above.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Firstly thank you for responding. As far as the clean up, I have been doing that as part of my system of deleting as much as I can. As I said the only "clean up" I haven't done is the recommendation to compress the OS as I'm not sure that would be in my interests?

As my Windows 10 shows up to date in Windows Update I assumed everything was current but checking the version on your recommendation I have version 1803. You said the link will take me to version 1809. Why has this not been updated automatically then?

I haven't done the update yet. Do you suggest I go ahead and do it?

HP Recommended

Yes, you could perform the update and then perform cleanup again.

Something else you could do is download the media creation tool from Microsoft, run and create a bootable pendrive with the OS on it. Then perform a clean install of Windows 10 on the PC, removing all the other partitions. This should give quite some extra space. You can then install the drivers and HP support assistant to keep everything up to date.

You could also upgrade the SSD to a larger capacity one for a reasonable price and reinstall the OS.

Regards,

David

HP Recommended

Start > Settings >System > Storage

> More storage settings

click Change where new content is saved

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.