Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
750-417c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been trying to upgrade my old desktop, but have run into an issue on startup. I went to r/buildapc for advice on resolving the issue, and the consensus seemed to be that I need a bios update to run 7th gen cpu's (in this case an i7-7700) on my motherboard, an odense 2-s.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/l02ys9/potential_cpu_compatibility_issue_please_advise/

In short, I am looking for a bios update for my MB to run 7th gen CPUs. Ill summarize my original problem and my troubleshooting steps below:

Problem:
CPU appears to boot up (single click, lights turn on, fans start up) but after 4 seconds, the cpu powers off, appears to boot up again, and then remains on. At this time all the fans are running with the exception of the psu fan which turns off.

System components:
Desktop - HP envy 750-417c
Motherboard - Odense 2-S
Old Processor - Intel core i5-6400 , New Processor - Intel Core i7-7700
Ram - 3 sticks, 2 8gb DDR4-2133 (one stock, one new), 1 4gb DDR4-2133, (only two slots on mb)
New PSU - CORSAIR TX-M Series TX650M
I tried to install a gpu as well but since I know its not the issue, I wont include it.

Troubleshooting process:
Before I started this process I wiped my computer and flashed a fresh copy of windows 10 using the resetting tool from the windows website, and verified it was working. I then removed all the components I wanted to replace at once, and installed all my new components. When I encountered the issue I described above I reseated the connection for my gpu and my two 8gb ram sticks to try and resolve, as well as all the power connections. When that didn't work, I removed my gpu and plugged my hdmi directly into the mb, same issue. I then reseated my CPU, all the power supply connections and tried all 6 permutations of my ram sticks to no luck. I also tried resetting the small battery on the MB by removing it for 30 seconds and re inserting it (I read somewhere that this could be an issue). After this did not work I re installed my old cpu and started up the computer. It booted up immediately, no issues. I then downloaded the hp support assistant tool and looked for a Bios Update. I found one, but even after completing the update, the issue persisted with the new cpu.

Where can I look to find a Bios update for my MB that will allow me to run 7th Gen CPUs on my system, if one exists at all? Thanks for any help in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

This is the latest BIOS update for your motherboard (Link). HP is not showing additional CPU support in the "Fixes".

The H170 chipset does support 7th gen Intel processors but the OEM has to add the code.

Your MB CPU support, Processor upgrade information, (Link) is limited to a 35 watt TDP CPU. The 7700 requires a 65 watt TDP.

You can't do this.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for your help.

HP Recommended

I was reading through your response again, and I noticed you linked the wrong MB. I dont have the HAMAR I have the Odense 2-s.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05236921

This seems to indicate a TDP of up to 91w (with Ariia+?? whatever that means) or 65w, which should be enough. Does this change the conclusion?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Don't know why the HP Support site for your product linked to the Hamar motherboard.

I missed that because you did identify the Odense 2-S  (Link) in your post. Sorry about that.

The BIOS update link is correct. The Odense MB can handle the TDP.

But the BIOS update does not specify additional CPU support. It looks like you are limited to Intel 6th Gen CPUs.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.