Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy H8-1414 PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just checking to see what graphics card upgrade I can do for better gaming(Medieval Total War, etc..).  I currently have an HP Envy H8-1414 PC( AMD Six Core FX 6120 Processor, 10 GB DDR3 system memory with an AMD Radeon HD 7450 graphics card

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @GregoryW89 .

Here is a small, but powerful, video card that will give you substatial performance increase.  It should work with your 300W power supply unit (PSU).  I have recommended it to many members of the Forums without any bad results.  I suggest reading the Customer Reviews to see what users have to say about it.  If you have further questions about its compatibility, you should contact EVGA's Tech Support for help.  They have always been very helpful.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@GregoryW89, welcome to the forum.

The first thing we have to know is, does the motherboard have a standard/Legacy BIOS or UEFI?  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  Your computer was released in September, 2012.  However, some of the computers close to the October, 2012, date did have UEFI.  The newer video cards require UEFI to operate properly.  When I know if the computer has UEFI or not, I will be able to help you further.

HP Recommended

thank you very much for the info.  How do I find out which one of the two the motherboard is?

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @GregoryW89.

You can type system information in the search box next to Start (Windows logo).  Then, choose System information (Desktop app) from the list.  Look for "BIOS Mode" in the list.  This will tell you the type of BIOS.

HP Recommended

Hello there again, my system Bios is UEFI  (SM Bios is 2.7).  Let me know when you can, thanks

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @GregoryW89 .

Here is a small, but powerful, video card that will give you substatial performance increase.  It should work with your 300W power supply unit (PSU).  I have recommended it to many members of the Forums without any bad results.  I suggest reading the Customer Reviews to see what users have to say about it.  If you have further questions about its compatibility, you should contact EVGA's Tech Support for help.  They have always been very helpful.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank you sir so much.  You have been extremely helpful.  I will check the video card out(reviews, etc..) and go from there.  Thank you again.

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @GregoryW89 !  Glad to help.

HP Recommended

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 03G-P4-6162-KR, 3GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC)      Would this one work on my system as well?  This one is just a little more of an upgrade than the one you suggested, but both seem great.        

HP Recommended

@GregoryW89, yes, that card will work fine.  However, you will have to upgrade the power supply unit (PSU), as well.  If you look at the "Specifications" tab in the link you provided, you will see that the card requires a 400W PSU.  The card that I recommended is good for your system without upgrades.  This is why I recommended it.  You would get more performance boost from the card in your link.  If you go with that card, I suggest that you get the one with 6 GB of V memory.  Also, I recommend a PSU with at least 500W to give you some power for peak needs.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.