Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Workstation z840

Hello,

I'm looking into connecting an extra device to power on/off my workstation remotely.

However, the Front LED/Speaker/Power/Reset connector is a single block and I couldn't find any mention of what was the layout for these pins.

Would anybody by chance have the pinout diagram for the connector?

On the motherboard it's listed as #35 Front Power Button/LED/Speaker.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

you might receive better/quicker replies if you post workstation related questions in the workstation forum

most of the xw/z series workstations use the same pinouts

Pin 1 = Hard drive clear plastic lens bottom LED  (which shows HD activity)… white wire
Pin 2 = Frosted lens top LED  (solid or blinking green LED)  (one wire of front panel dual-color LED)… red wire
Pin 3 = Hard drive clear plastic lens bottom LED (may be ground end)… green wire
Pin 4 = Frosted lens top LED Red (solid orange color LED)  (other wire of front panel dual-color LED)… black wire
Pin 5 = No wire attached in xw6400.  May be ground.
Pin 6 = Front panel switch for power on/off… thick white wire attached..  May be the positive.
Pin 7 = No wire attached in xw6400
Pin 8 = Front panel switch for power on/off… thick white wire attached.  May be the ground.
Pin 9 = No wire attached in my xw6400.  May be +5V
Pin 10 = Key (no pin on motherboard header; plastic filling the #10 hole in the receptacle)
Pin 11 = No wire attached in xw6400.  Has gray wire of ambient air temperature thermisitor attached in xw6600 cable
Pin 12 = No wire attached in xw6400.  Has brown wire ofambient air temperature thermisitor attached  in xw6600 cable
Pin 13 = Orange wire, but not used in my xw6400.  For hood sensor connector.  May be ground.
Pin 14 = Orange wire, but not used in my xw6400.  For hood sensor connector.
Pin 15 = Key (no pin on the motherboard; plastic filling the #15 hole in the receptacle)
Pin 16 = Blue wire, but not used in my xw6400.  For hood sensor connector.
Pin 17 = Internal speaker +… yellow wire
Pin 18 = Internal speaker - … yellow wire
HP Recommended

Thank you! Appreciate your response.

It was my first post I guess I missed the workstation forum! I will post it there, I didn’t see a way to move the message on mobile phone.

Regarding the pinouts configuration, it looks like the z840 has 26 pins instead of 18. I have come across the diagram for 18 pins but not the larger one.

Thank you for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.