Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP - Compaq ENVY 700-329
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am looking to upgrade my Graphics card from the current NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 to something more powerful what can the stock HP - Compaq ENVY 700-329 with the Hewlett-Packard 2AF7 motherboard be able to go up to? And also I have 12 G of Ram so what is my limit I can g up to with this and also maybe the best T SSD I could add to it for Im looking to upgrade for better video editing and just overall Watching clarer videos and such. Oh and would there be a way t add a extra fan for more cooling if needed also? 

Thanks in advance. 

Thomas 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings Thomas,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Let's start with RAM.

You can go to 16 GB. This requires sacrificing a 4 GB module. This upgrade is not worth the cost.

Upgrading the graphics card is an option because your PC has a UEFI BIOS.

Your PC's chassis can accept up to a 10.5 inch graphics card.

Most graphics card upgrades require additional power connections from the power supply (PSU) to the graphics card. You have a HP factory 460 watt power supply. You may need up to two eight pin PCIe supplemental connections from the PSU to the new graphics card.

This additional power requirement is dependent on the new graphics card.

A PSU upgrade may be required.

Your HSIO is limited to SATA. You can upgrade the existing platter 1 TB HDD to a SATA SSD. This will provide a big performance boost. This upgrade provides the biggest bang for the buck!

Adding additional fans in your PC's chassis is highly unlikely.

Regards

HP Recommended

Sorry if I sound stupid for Im still learning for Im wanting to do my own build down the road when I have more cash but what could I do with what I got alreay for the Graphics Card upgrade? would I have to buy a new power supply? Im not looking for extreme gaming but just a bit better quality for watching BR and video and also better editing for my building channel. 

HP Recommended

Hi ThomasDragon,

You don't sound stupid. The opposite is true based on the questions you are asking!

Video editing likes more CPU cores (multi threading) and higher processor frequencies.

Buying a new PSU depends on what graphics card upgrade you do and the available GPU power connections on the current PSU.

Nvidia 2080 cards require up to two eight pin PCIe connections from the PSU to power the device.

A fast SATA SSD will give you a perceptible lift in performance. But it may not enhance the raw processing power needed to edit videos.

I can't review your PC's specs now because the HP Support site is not working correctly. I think your PC is over four years old. So you have older components. The older components may create bottlenecks with demanding operations such as video editing.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks. And thanks to all for replying. I figure it wont be much improvement so maybe for now just an upgrade to a SSD say 1T And run all the programs from it and just use the HDD for starage and maybe that will be better then what Im doing now. I am looking to do my own build soon but its all about cash or lack there of but am a Learning filmmaker so want to make it as good as I can afford for now. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.