Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY Desktop 750-514 DT PC US
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, Looking for advice...

I am running out of space on my 128 GB SSD Hard drive.

I understand I need to use the 1 TB drive to store my programs in the future, but for now, I just need to get this SSD 128 GB hard drive for the OS upgrade to a larger device that would allow me to function for now.

Any advice you might be able to provide as to what device Brand/ Model/ Specifications would be helpful. I don't know what product to purchase but I do know how to clone the drives prior to installing them.

Would there be any configuration needed in the Desktop needed to do this?

Thank you... Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@markrobinson207,

Lets make sure everyone knows you have a 2.5" SSD device.  I use a Samsung EVO 860 500GB 2.5" SSD.

You can clone the 128 to the new SSD with this type of external enclosure.   You put the new SSD in the enclosure and then clone.  When finished, you swap the SSD's.  Having a 128GB portable SSD handy.

Clone software Macrium Reflect 7 free and the instructions.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@markrobinson207,

Lets make sure everyone knows you have a 2.5" SSD device.  I use a Samsung EVO 860 500GB 2.5" SSD.

You can clone the 128 to the new SSD with this type of external enclosure.   You put the new SSD in the enclosure and then clone.  When finished, you swap the SSD's.  Having a 128GB portable SSD handy.

Clone software Macrium Reflect 7 free and the instructions.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Solid advice Wb2001. I've been trying to figure out if the motherboard supports NVME such as the 970 EVO but at this point I am going to take the simplest approach and swap out the existing SSD as recommended. I am also thinking of removing the 1TB drive as it would also become obsolete.

HP Recommended

@Anil_Premlall,

I see you have an HP 750-171 (Odense board), and does not have an M.2 socket 3 Key M needed for an NVMe device.  It also lacks a PCIex4 slot (unless you give up a graphic card) for a PCIex4 to NVMe adapter.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

That was the most painless hardrive upgrade I have ever done thanks to your advice. Having the external enclosure allowed me to clone and swap out the drive in less than an hour and no hiccups! Thoroughly enjoying the extra space and performance boost.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.