Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 800-030qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I have an HP Envy Phoenix HP 800-030qe

There is a loud hum coming from the computer. When I first got the computer is was very quiet, you could barely hear the fan. Now that loud hum is so distracting I can't get any work done.

The computer runs fine, it's just this hum from the back of the computer. I initially thought it may be the additional memory I added to the computer, but the hum is still there even without additional memory.

What could be causing this and how can I make it stop?

I'm kicking myself because it started while it was under warranty and I didn't send the machine in, because I needed the computer to work.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @XheVoice, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you get a loud humming sound from your PC.

Please check if the sound is coming from the hard drive or the PSU (Power supply) Fan.

Perform a hardware diagnostics on your PC.

Refer this article to know how to run system diagnostics.

Also, update BIOS using this link.

If the issue still persists it is a hardware issue, please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Please keep me updated.

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Mr Robot,

The sound is coming from where the PSU Fan is. It is either the video card, that large black HP thingee on the motherboard or something else. Not sure if it is the fan. Here is a link to a quick vid I made to record the sound HP Computer Loud Hummm

HP Recommended

@XheVoice, thanks for your response.

And thanks for sharing the video.

Try removing the hard drive and optical drive on your PC and check if you get the same humming sound.

If you hear the humming sound it looks to be an issue with CPU fan. Did you update the BIOS on your PC?

If you updated the BIOS and if the issue still persists. It is a hardware issue.

Please contact HP for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Take Care!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Mr Robot,

BIOS version.pngBIOS version.png

My BIOS number is 80.24 the link you shared is for version 80.20, so I think I am all set with the BIOS being updated. I have the HP Support Assistant installed, so it lets me know when I need to update things.

When you say optical drive, do you mean the BD-ROM? If I disconnect the harddrives will I need to shut the computer down via the power button?

HP Recommended

@XheVoice, Thanks for the response.

As you mentioned that the BIOS has been updated to latest version on your PC.

Yes, you have to turn off your PC and unplug the hard drive and optical drive connectors on your PC.

And check if you are getting the same humming sound.

I'll watch your reply! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.