Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z2 G4 4FU52AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
The failure to activate the M.2 slot I am not trying to say is an error during manufacture of the motherboard. It's intentional. HP orders a certain run of motherboards without an active M.2 slot even though the external hardware is there. I cannot be sure that is the case but that is what seems to be happening.

How can I find out if the above post is the reason why a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA M.2 is not visible in the second slot.

I have replaced the original  M.2 C Drive with the same 1TB Samsung SATA M.2 and that is working well so what needs to be done to get the SATA M.2 visible in the second slot? Thanks GreenPro

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

visible mean , missing in Device manager and DISK MANAGER BOTH (for get explorer that is last after format and drive letter assigned)

some slots that like like m.2 are in fact not at all , are Msata or others, and age matters m.2  evolved fast,  (no blame)

as is true on all PCs, first look in BIOS for slots disabled,  always look in BIOS page first, ok?

even upgrade the bios in the hope of better support in this area (m.2)

then review the full spec, on Z2 bla bla.

page to states

HP Z2 Tower G4 Workstation is capable of configuring up to two Z Turbo Drives.
By default, the Z Turbo Drive configured is installed in the M.2 storage slot on the system’s motherboard.
if lucky in BIOS you can turn this turbo thing off and get normal M2 uses. (IDK)
All slots are Low Profile.
M.2 storage supports compatible devices at 80 mm.
DO not use the M.2 LAN slot (only for WLAN) for Intel CNVi

I say 2 issues, wrong slot or turbo not turned off, best is can tell, and sure M2. is  complex as is the evolution.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

Thanks Savvy2.

The second Samsung 1TB 860 EVO SATA M.2 is definitely in the second memory slot - the screw mounting position on the LAN slot is much shorter.

The second SATA M.2 is not visible in either the Device Manager nor is it visible in the Disk Manager.

I am not sure about checking and changing the BIOS settings so if you can help me with this it would be very helpful as this may be the cause of the problem.

Cheers, GreenPro

HP Recommended

Hi Savvy2.

I checked the BIOS and the second SATA M.2 slot is enabled and set to Auto Speed .

Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Thanks, GreenPro

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.