Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Slimline Desktop - 290-p0055il
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have seen in the motherboard specification page (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05991290) the m.2 slot is mentioned as "M.2 socket 3, 2280 type for SSD". Does it support full PCIe 3.0 x4 speed (32 Gb/s)? I've heard somewhere that it only supports x2, i.e. 16 Gb/s. Which is correct?

If I use this drive https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-SN750-500GB-Internal-Gaming/dp/B07MH2P5ZD, Would I be able to utilise the full R/W speed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry for the late reply. I was doing a small test. I borrowed an XPG 8200 pro from a friend.

Crystaldisk showed a sequential R/W of 1800 MBps & 1500 MBps in this HP desktop. I also tested the same drive in my Acer Predator the R/W was about 3500 MBps & 2200 MBps. Clearly the HP does not have a  PCIe 3.0 x4.

I will go for a cheap NVME. Too much of speed is wasted on this anyway. Thanks for your time though.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Socket 3 = PCIe x4

So it's not x2 lanes, according to HP,  it's x4 .

Whether or not it's a PCIe 3.0 version is the question:

And for that I'd refer you to HWINFO or CPU-Z which are free programs that will tell you the version/lanes.

It's very likely PCIe version 3.0 given your computer is young but better to just double-check with a free program.

*Just a community member, not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Yeah, I checked with hwinfo and sisoftware sandra. The m.2 port is labelled as unknown. But I managed to figure out other ports for which information are available:

1. PCIe 3.0 x1 2.5 Gbps- Ethernet

2. PCIe 3.0 x1 2.5 Gbps- Wifi

3. PCIe x1-Empty

4. PCIe x16- Empty

5. M.2 socket 1- Empty

6. M.2 socket 3- Empty

The Ethernet and wifi port are clearly mentioned as 3.0, but could the m.2 ports be different?

HP Recommended

You may want to browse through the driver list and see if there are any for mislabelling.

On a 2018 PC I wouldn't think you have much to worry about though.

*Just a community member, not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Sorry for the late reply. I was doing a small test. I borrowed an XPG 8200 pro from a friend.

Crystaldisk showed a sequential R/W of 1800 MBps & 1500 MBps in this HP desktop. I also tested the same drive in my Acer Predator the R/W was about 3500 MBps & 2200 MBps. Clearly the HP does not have a  PCIe 3.0 x4.

I will go for a cheap NVME. Too much of speed is wasted on this anyway. Thanks for your time though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.