Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY m6-w105dx x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In similar posts i have red that some of HP Envy m6-w105dx 360 models come with not active M2 slots even though physically there is a M2 slot on motherboard. 

I had bad luck trying to install two different m2 ssds but i still dont want to give up and have few questions, will appreciate if someone can clarify them to me. 

1. As per manual m6-w105dx x360 works strictly only with 250Gb M2 SSD or 500Gb or even 1TB will work? If anyone had luck installing M2 SSD on this laptop, will you please share your expertise, what kind of ssd worked for you, did you have to do any tricks to make bios see it?

2. If, after installing 250GB SSD M.2, B-Key, SATA-3, TLC , NGFF 2280 as it says in manual, bios doesn't see it, does it mean that on my motherboard the M2 slot is not activated, its dead and there is nothing I can do or I still should try different remedies such as to boot with just m.2, adjust legacy and secure boot options in bios, or something else ?

3. If I give up on M2 and decide to replace HDD to 2.5 inch SATA SSD can I use 1, 2 or more TB, is there any size limitation?

Thanks ! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This particular model series is one of the most problematic with M.2 SSDs and if it were mine I would just install a 2.5 inch SATA SSD.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

There will be no capacity limit for M.2. If it works with a 128 gig it will work with a 2 TB. There should also be no need to tweak anything in the BIOS. The drive you installed was likely a B + M (3 prong) if it was a SATA M.2. Definitely try running with just the M.2. This particular model series is one of the most problematic with M.2 SSDs and if it were mine I would just install a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. No capacity limit there, either.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much

HP Recommended

I tried 3 SSDs yesterday, non of these worked , only after installing Team Group MS30 when windows started i got  a message saying that some console is loading, along with loading bar indicator, it was so quick did not see what console was it. I tried running just M2 with HDD unplugged, no luck.

500 GB SSD M.2 HP S700 [2LU80AA#ABB]
TLC 3D NAND, B & M, SATA 3, 2280

256 GB SSD M.2 Team Group MS30 [TM8PS7256G0C101]
TLC, B & M, SATA 3, 2280

250 GB SSD M.2 WD Blue [WDS250G2B0B]
TLC 3D NAND, B & M, SATA 3, 2280

HP Recommended

This particular model series is one of the most problematic with M.2 SSDs and if it were mine I would just install a 2.5 inch SATA SSD.

HP Recommended

That’s what ended up doing, thank you very much for your support 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.