Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite M9252P
Microsoft Windows Vista

I need to replace the motherboard in my HP Pavilion Elite M9252P.  Is there a diagram that will help me out with this so I'll be sure to plug everything back in correctly?  I'm also changing out the processor, the memory and the power supply.  The motherboard location seems to be behind EVERYTHING and I want to be sure I do this correctly.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Do you have a smart-phone that can take both still and video images of the current motherboard, and its connectors?

Be sure to focus on the shape of the end of each of the connectors that currently connect.

Get an image of each connector, while connected, and then unplug the connector, to get an image of the connector, and its slot.

The most-difficult part will be the collection of similar wires that connect to a small area -- power button, power LED lamp, speaker, sleep power, disk-drive-activity LED, reset button, because they are similarly shaped.

HP Recommended

Good thought on the pictures, really good thought, and yes, I do have a smart phone to use (even though I take really bad pictures with it).  I think with printing out the pictures, labeling them and matching labels on the cables/cords it won't be too bad (oh, there's those famous last words - won't be too bad!).  It just seems like the motherboard is behind EVERYTHING possible! I've changed things out before (processor and memory) but it wasn't this hard to get in to them.  Plus, I just dread it and need to set aside a day, start in the morning and do it. 

HP Recommended

It is deliberate that everything else that is "field-replaceable" (an IBM term) is more accessible than a rarely-changed motherboard.

My worry is that your license for Windows 10 is "tied" to your current hardware, including the motherboard. In Microsoft's view, changing the motherboard makes it a "different" computer, and thus invalidates your license. 

Reasonably, Microsoft allows "small" changes (new RAM, or new disk-drive) without invalidating the license.

HP Recommended

Microsoft can stuff it for all I care.  If they don't like it then they need to talk to our power company about our power switching off/on all the bleeping time and figure out who wants to pay for these repairs. It's not like I have nothing to do but figured that just for fun I'd replace the motherboard in our desktop - this is a have-to case and licensing is a second thought in all this.  Plus, we don't have Windows 10 on that computer, which is an added bonus. I remember when IBM had come up with an operating system (OS?) but for some unknown reason, the world decided not to use it or Lotus or WordPerfect (best word processing package ever). Instead we're stuck with Microsoft forever. As you can tell, I am not a Microsoft fan.

HP Recommended

I remember when IBM had come up with an operating system (OS?) but for some unknown reason, the world decided not to use it 

The "OS/2" operating system was co-developed by IBM and Microsoft. 

For reasons too long to explain here, a decision was made by Microsoft to go their own way.

Microsoft hired the primary developer of the Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) to take many of the concepts of the "VMS" operating system for DEC computers, to develop Windows NT. Note : V->W, M-N, S->T transition from "VMS" to "WNT". Accidental? Intentional? 

Years ago, the first generation of Automated Banking Machines used by the Bank Of Montreal were running OS/2. People have captured snapshots of an ABM rebooting OS/2.

HP Recommended

Is there any specific reason that youre emotional about the case for the computer? Seems like you're replacing everything but the case. Might as well buy a new computer. You can likely buy a full computer for less than the components.

HP Recommended

I looked into a replacement but I can actually do this for about half the price of a new one.  Since I wasn't heck-bent on doing it in a week I took my time and did comparison shopping, and found some good deals.  That case though, it does have sleek lines and a shiny body and winks its little light at me sometimes!  It has that come-hither wink and I'm just powerless against it!  🙂  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.