Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

MSI GTX 1060 support on an Envy 700-214

HP Envy 700-214
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to upgrade the video card in an Envy 700-214 to an MSI Aero ITX GTX 1060.  I am currently using a GTX 560 Ti and had previously disabled secure boot and changed to legacy mode in the BIOS to support that card.  Installing the GTX 1060 has mostly resulted in only a blank screen, no POST messages.  I say mostly because in a couple of cases (which were not repeatable) it did get the Windows boot screen briefly before going blank again.  I upgraded to the 80.23 Rev.A BIOS and tried different combinations of settings with legacy boot mode, secure boot, and quick boot, including fully reseting the BIOS.  The card is powered with a 6-pin cable and the power supply rated at 460W seems to be adequate, particularly since the more power hungry GTX 560 Ti works fine and I haven't even been able to get to the point of doing anything taxing.

With all that explanation out of the way, I'm wondering if the GTX 1060 is just not supported by the Memphis-B motherboard, searching around seems to indicate that some people have had issues.  I unfortunately don't have another machine to test the card itself, so I'd like to verify that it should work before concluding that the card is faulty.  Thanks for any input!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
5,267 5,184 487 1,066
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your MB has a Extensible Firmware Interface BIOS. The 1060 requires this BIOS version.

Did you input the four character confirmation code after disabling Secure boot and enabling Legacy boot prior to removing the 560 and installing the 1060? You have to save, restart the PC,  and enter this code to complete this BIOS modification.

It is also good to uninstall the Nvidia 560 drivers before disabling Secure boot and installing the new GPU.

Regards

0 Kudos
ARWood82 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response!  Yes, secure boot had already been disabled and legacy support enabled in order to run the 560.  I've tried both with and without legacy support, as well as quick boot, and secure boot remains disabled.  I did uninstall the drivers for the 560 before swapping the cards.  The 1060 also got tried in another machine where it worked, and I borrowed a 1050 Ti that worked in my machine, which leads me to believe there is an inherent incompatibility here, but hopefully there is some workaround!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation