Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
610-1100UK
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I Have recently upgraded memory from 4G to 8G

The original 4G DIMM was installed in Bank 3

I added 2 x 2G DIMMs in banks 1 and 4

All Memory DIMMs are DDR3 SDRAM

Since adding the additional 2 x 2G DIMMS, I am experiencing several programs "Stopped Working" messages. I am then unable to start the programs.

This has occurred with Interenet Explorer, HP Support Assistand, Cloud Backup, Firefox, Windows Explorer etc .

I also occasionally see an error message "Memory Could Not Be Written ..."

Computer properties and BIOS correctly shows 8G Memory installed

All diagnostoics run clean

Is my Memory Configuration a valid one?

Is there any reason why adding additionnal memory would result in several applications failing?

How can I resolve this issue, without reverting back to the original 4G memory?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@daveiw100, welcome back to the forum.

Here is the Upgrading and Servicing Guide for the computer.  Beginning on Page 18 is a section titled "Installing a New Memory Card".  Read the section carefully because it explains how the memory slots are to be populated.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@daveiw100, welcome back to the forum.

Here is the Upgrading and Servicing Guide for the computer.  Beginning on Page 18 is a section titled "Installing a New Memory Card".  Read the section carefully because it explains how the memory slots are to be populated.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am totally confused about the memory configuration.

The article you refer to shows the black slots at the bottom and the white slots at the top.

This is not the situation in my case.

One of the slots has Black at the bottom and White at the top, the other is the opposite way round- IE White at the bottom an Black at the top

Further, I have established that the slot marked 1 (the first lower back one) is in fact memory bank 3, according to the BIOS info

I assume that, irrespective of the colour coding of the slots, and the numbering sequence in the documentation, the correct order to insert the DIMMs as per the BIOS info?

I  have configured the DIMMs to show in BIOS, Banks 1, 2 and 3 populated, and bank 4 free.

So far I have not experienced any issues

HP Recommended

You are welcome.  Thank you for the additional information, @daveiw100.

According to the information that I provided, I believe you did populate the slots correctly.  I don't believe that you will have any problems.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.