Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop - 290-p0055il
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have mainly two questions:

1. I want to upgrade the system RAM from 4GB (default) to 16GB. The desktop specifications in the HP website (HP Slimline 290-p0055il Desktop PC Product Specifications) says it supports upto 8GB while scanning result from crucial scanner differs with it. Is it possible to upgrade to 16GB RAM?

2. Does it support M.2 SATA SSD or PCIE SSD?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Karron14,

The memory specs at HP's Support site need to be corrected.

HP's memory upgrade guidelines state a maximum memory module density of 8 GB per memory slot. But then the memory upgrade guidelines also incorrectly state your PC supports a total memory capacity of only 8 GB on 64 bit operating systems?

Your PC has an Intel H370 chipset. This chipset can support up to 16 GB modules in each memory slot. This would give you  (2x16 GB) for a total of 32 GB.

I would still consider Crucial's memory capacity recommendation to be reasonable. Crucial may only: scan a PC or use a database to determine the MB chipset on the target PC. So Crucial's recommendations could also be incorrect if HP modified the H370 chipset.

And, HP does modify chipset specs on occasion. You are also seeing HP's penchant to change Intel specs by the modification HP has done to the bandwidth on the included M.2 slot; (PCIe 3.0x2 instead of PCIe 3.0x4) .

It is anybody's guess as to whether you will get a total memory capacity of 16 GB or 32 GB when upgrading the memory on your system. Try 16 GB memory modules. You can always return to Crucial for a refund if they don't work correctly.

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Crucial is correct. Two DIMM sockets. Each socket supports up to 8 GB memory modules.

The Menlo MB supports M.2, PCIe 3.0x2, NVME storage devices.

A PCIe 3.0x4 device will work (such as a Samsung 970) but only at x2 speed. This speed is faster than SATA. You will not notice the speed difference unless you work with large data sets.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Grzwacz wrote:

Hi,

Crucial is correct. Two DIMM sockets. Each socket supports up to 8 GB memory modules.

Ok. So I can insert 2x8GB memory modules. But crucial says it supports upto 32GB RAM (i.e. 2x16GB). Am I misunderstanding something?

HP Recommended

Hi Karron14,

The memory specs at HP's Support site need to be corrected.

HP's memory upgrade guidelines state a maximum memory module density of 8 GB per memory slot. But then the memory upgrade guidelines also incorrectly state your PC supports a total memory capacity of only 8 GB on 64 bit operating systems?

Your PC has an Intel H370 chipset. This chipset can support up to 16 GB modules in each memory slot. This would give you  (2x16 GB) for a total of 32 GB.

I would still consider Crucial's memory capacity recommendation to be reasonable. Crucial may only: scan a PC or use a database to determine the MB chipset on the target PC. So Crucial's recommendations could also be incorrect if HP modified the H370 chipset.

And, HP does modify chipset specs on occasion. You are also seeing HP's penchant to change Intel specs by the modification HP has done to the bandwidth on the included M.2 slot; (PCIe 3.0x2 instead of PCIe 3.0x4) .

It is anybody's guess as to whether you will get a total memory capacity of 16 GB or 32 GB when upgrading the memory on your system. Try 16 GB memory modules. You can always return to Crucial for a refund if they don't work correctly.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help! :generic: . I will try the 16GB module first.

HP Recommended

Hi Karron14,

You're very welcome.

The 16 GB modules should work.

Crucial guarantees recommended upgrade suggestions and the modules.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.