Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z200 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version: 18363.836

Intel Core  i5 650@3.20Ghz

System board 0B40h

System BIOS 786H3 v01.22

I recently purchased 4 G.SKILL 4GB memory modules (F3-10600CLD9-8GBNT, DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 1.5v, unbuffered non-ECC) for my HP Z200 Workstation.

With these modules installed and Windows is running, the machine randomly reboots. There is no BSOD and nothing in the event log to indicate that Windows detected a problem.

I tested each module individually with MemTest86+ for at least 10 passes. Then I tested with all four modules installed for 8 passes (which ran for over 16 hours). None of the tests detected any problems with the memory and the machine did not reboot a single time during memory testing.

It seems odd that the reboots only occur when Windows is running. If there was a hardware conflict, I would expect the machine would have rebooted while MemTest86+ was running. My machine  ran MemTest86+ for over 64 hours. The only downtime was when I turned it off to switch out memory modules.

While troubleshooting the issue, I came across the QuickSpecs for HP Z200 Workstation. The only CTO memory configuration listed for 16GB uses ECC modules. And there is not an After Market Option (AMO) for a 16GB configuration. Am I reading this correct? A user can't upgrade the workstation to 16GB? Or, if that is possible, does it require ECC for a 16GB configuration? Why would 4x2GB non-ECC work but 4x4GB non-ECC not work?

While troubleshooting, I also upgraded the BIOS to the most recent release. However, the machine still reboots if I have all four 4GB modules installed and I'm running Windows.

Any thoughts, advice, or explanation?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JonRobertson,

There is an issue with the Z200 manual, with the technical information.

Non_ECC modules can be used up to 2GB per slot.   Only ECC modules can be used if 4GB module is used.

Pg 2 is correct, but pg 105 explained the issue.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@JonRobertson,

There is an issue with the Z200 manual, with the technical information.

Non_ECC modules can be used up to 2GB per slot.   Only ECC modules can be used if 4GB module is used.

Pg 2 is correct, but pg 105 explained the issue.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the clarification.

It is frustrating that HP hasn't corrected the manual and QuickSpecs. I bought this memory off of eBay and the memory is good. The fact that it doesn't work in my machine is neither the seller's fault nor my fault.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.