Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop - 290-p0025xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello experts and techies. I have an HP with Menlo motherboard and it has a CPU Core i3 8100 @ 3.6mhz. Installed 16GB ram and for home office and internet it works great. HOWEVER..... iRacing comes along and the dedicated graphics requirements among other things has me thinking can I upgrade this?

The HP pages provide only Intel chipsets with dedicated graphics as upgrade choices. Is this because I have dedicated graphics or because I cannot upgrade to a CPU that supports a dedicated graphics card? I THINK it is only because I have dedicated graphics now. This all being said, is the slimline case going to kill me in choosing a graphics card?  The iRacing minimum hardware requirements are: 

Minimum System Requirements

***These are our minimum requirements, just meeting these will produce graphics at our minimum in test mode***

PC Computers:

• Windows 8.1 64-Bit, Windows 10 64-Bit
  • 64-bit Windows
  • 4 core CPU or better – Some examples (but not limited to): AMD FX-6300, Intel Core i5-4430, Intel Core i5-2320, AMD Ryzen 3 1200
  • 16 GB of RAM
  • A gaming graphics card with at least 2GB of DEDICATED memory – Some examples (but not limited to):  Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 @ 2 GB / GTX 1050 or ATI Radeon HD 7850 @ 2GB / AMD RX 550 or better
  • 25 GB of free disk space (50 GB for all cars and tracks)
  • Microphone optional, required for voice chat

**Note that in order to get the full dirt visual experience on iRacing you will need a computer that is capable of running graphics shaders at medium to high settings. Please contact our support team at support@iracing.com if you have questions about your PC.

Of course, I don't want MINIMUM I want to enjoy this to the maximum installable into this existing motherboard. What should I do? THANK YOU!!!!!!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Kikutwo,

The main issue is that your 180W PSU is an HP proprietary unit.  Unable to get the part #, as HP PartSurfer is down (can not search data base). The GTX 1050 might run on your 180W PSU, if the card does not have a PCIE power socket. (Some EVGA GTX1050 cards have a PCIE socket.).

PS<> Your CPU chip is more than adequate. Once a card is installed, the onboard graphics is turned-off.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Ok thank you. A PCIe should definitely work then? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.