Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When I boot my PC, it gives 3 beeps -- then --> Not enough space in runtime area !! -- then --> SM BIOS data will not be available -- then --> F2 to continue – then (after pressing F2) --> Windows boots normally, BUT it won't activate anymore.

I can access Bios & save changes

I already did the following;

• HP recovery
  • Inspected capacitors, but everything looked good
  • Mounted other (known good) RAM
  • Tried a different (known good) 600W PSU
  • Removed the graphics card
  • Tried a different VGA cable & screen
  • Removed the CMOS battery for 15 mins.
  • Gives 3 beeps & message even with the hard drive detached

Is there anything else that I can check ?
Is it economically viable to replace a motherboard ? (my PC costed around 700 €)

My PC:

I could not find support with my Product No. or Full Model No.

Spoiler

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

In order to reset a BIOS to it's default settings there is usually a jumper that you have to change while removing the battery. Also, modern BIOS's are powereed by the Power supply even if the computer and the power supply are turned off. To depower the BIOS chip (and force a reset to defaults) you have to reset the jumper, remove the battery and unplug the PSU from the wall outlet.

give that a shot. 

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln
HP Recommended

after researching this abit more it would seem there have been two ways to fix this, either replace the bios chip, whice is the cheapest option. or replace the whole board. the error you are getting is genric enough that you can applie it to just about any board with a like bios 

check out these sites 

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/51246-not-enough-space-runtime-area-970de3-u3s3.html

http://www.overclock.net/t/570356/not-enough-space-in-runtime-area-smbios-data-will-not-be-available...

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln
HP Recommended

Hi,

If the above suggestion in the previous post fails to solve your issue then the BIOS should be reflashed by an authorized HP service facility.  That might save your PC.Check your warranty status.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.