Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Small Form Factor PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi community,

I want to explore if I can install and new motherboard, CPU and RAM to an 8th Gen or better spec, and fit this all in an EliteDesk 800G2 SFF case. I'm looking to move to Windows 11 and want to know if upgrading is cost effective or not.

your thoughts and advice will be much appreciated, thankyou.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @SteveHelm 

You would need the parts from the 800 G4 SFF to get the W11 update via Windows update, and they won't fit in your PC.

Just buy an off-lease 800 G4 SFF on eBay.  That would be the oldest HP Elitedesk that is fully supported to run W11.

And yes, you can easily install W11 on your 800 G2 PC by bypassing the hardware checks.

I've installed W11 on 11 unsupported HP and Dell business class notebooks and desktops, and they all run fine, and get all of the updates my fully supported W11 PC gets.

If you want the information for how to do that, let me know.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If you want to change everything for windows 11
might as well wait a bit and replace the computer
You want to make too much change here, pure windows 121 it's not worth it in my opinion
read this

Solved: Re: Upgrade CPU for meeting Windows 11-req’s? - HP Support Community - 8290673

Maybe wait for @Paul_Tikkanen  to tell you a solution to install windows 11, if you absolutely want it

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi, @SteveHelm 

You would need the parts from the 800 G4 SFF to get the W11 update via Windows update, and they won't fit in your PC.

Just buy an off-lease 800 G4 SFF on eBay.  That would be the oldest HP Elitedesk that is fully supported to run W11.

And yes, you can easily install W11 on your 800 G2 PC by bypassing the hardware checks.

I've installed W11 on 11 unsupported HP and Dell business class notebooks and desktops, and they all run fine, and get all of the updates my fully supported W11 PC gets.

If you want the information for how to do that, let me know.

HP Recommended

Hi, .@Paul_Tikkanen

Many thanks for your reply,  I have seen the hardware check hack on YT, so I'll try that first.

The updates was a bit of a worry but if its ok you then there's hope.

Thank you again..

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you haven't seen this one, try it because it is easy as pie, and you can upgrade keeping all of your programs, files and settings.

I would make a system image of your current W10 installation prior to updating to W11, so you can easily reinstall W10 in the future.  I used the free Macrium Reflect software to do that, under the Backup at Home section. 

Along with the system image, make sure you create the bootable DVD or USB rescue drive you boot from to access the system image stored on your portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

To upgrade to W11, read and follow the instructions at the link below.

Windows 11 Upgrade Hack on Any Hardware | Dong Knows Tech

No registry changes needed.  No need to create installation media.  Just download the W11 ISO file, and the guy's zip file.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.