Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

1. Computer::  HP Pavilion p6653,  Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix) motherboard

2.  AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor 3000 Mhz, 2 Cores, 2 Logical Processors

3.  DVD writer and a DVD Reader, both work great

4.  1 USB 2.0 PCI Card w/ 5 ports (1 is internal), 1 USB 3.0  PCI Card with 2 slots

I am considering the possibility of upgrading the motherboard and/or the Processor (listed above).  I don't do gaming, so I don't need anything in that league.  It's about 10 years old, still works, but with today's software, I think it's being overwhelmed..  It struggles sometimes, but it does get there. I really don't want to buy another desktop, unless the upgrade is too expensive.  Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, advice, comments or ponderings from anyone?  I would be grateful!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Here is the support page for the motherboard

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-p6600-desktop-pc-series/4269976/model/4313744/docum...

If you click on the Processor upgrade information tab, you will see the processors that can be installed.  There are several choices that would be an improvement over the present CPU.  Considering the age of the PC, finding any of those CPU's would probably be on a used market such as EBay.  That is fine, assuming you buy from a trusted EBay seller.  Upgrading to the higher CPU's listed will greatly increase the performance. Adding more RAM would improve performance, too.   Any other upgrades such as changing the motherboard would probably lead to more expense than is worthwhile.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hello
if i can just add a little thing ..
The PC may be a little slow simply because of the hard drive
To have noticed a big difference with a pc yet quite powerful, the fact of installing a solid state drive can be a good thing
it would seem that it is even possible to install several disks in this tower, therefore you can install windows on the SSD and keep the hard disk for data for example.
No need for a very expensive and very large SSD less than 500 GB this may be sufficient but better is better than 250 GB

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Good thinking @Prométhée 

It did that to my laptop and it really helps.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.