Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop 595 p0084

I recently moved offices.  We had multiple desktops (4) with wireless keyboards, mice, and dongles.  After moving into our new offices, I plugged the desktops in.  The actual cpu's work but unfortunately, all of the keyboards, mice, and dongles were mixed.  Therefore, I have no idea which dongles belong to which cpu's.  Furthermore, I have no idea which keyboards and mice belong to which dongle.  

What are some steps that I can take to sort this out?  Hopefully this is an easy process. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello
I don't understand what you mean, maybe because of the translation.
"I have no idea which dongles belong to which cpu's"
If we are talking about a usb Wifi dongle, I don't see the connection with the CPU.
in terms of keyboards there I can not check because writing too small, but to check may be with the references on the mouse keyboard and receivers!
otherwise, apart from placing a receiver and testing, I don't see too much!
it doesn't have to be long for 4 kits!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I have multiple computers, keyboards, mice, and usb devices that communicate to the keyboards and mice.  

I plug the usb devices into the computer, but they do not communicate with any of the keyboards or mice.  

Therefore, I continue to test each one and nothing happens.  It seems like the computers are not recognizing the usb device.  

HP Recommended

@Prométhée 

He has 4 computers. He has 4 dongles, 4 keyboards, and 4 mice.  All are mixed up, as he did not keep them separated.  My question would be, if your using USB dongled keyboard and mouse, and the dongle is USB, there has to be a driver, and I would look at the USB listing on Device Manager.

PS<> I am old school, never had wireless keyboard/mouse, so you have the advantage, maybe ?🤔

Technically I am wondering and guessing at  this:

1) is there a pairing button on the mouse and keyboard? Or just one of them?

2) is it possible to delete the USB dongle driver, put in a dongle, and have it install the driver.  Then try each mouse.  Then try a keyboard.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@jlandweh 

Sorry for jumping in. This must take time because each set (USB, keyboard, mouse) works together. There is no other way UNLESS you can re-program all of them. My simple answer

1. Put receivers, one each to 4 computers, it doesn't matter which one to which.
  2. Bring keyboard and mouse one by one to see which one works with receiver and mark computer 1 on the right KB and mouse.
  3. Repeat step 2 for computer 2 now you only have 3 sets (6 devices to check) .... then 2 ...  then the last one.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@banhien,

Your always invited. Your logical approach should work!

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@wb2001 

With only 4 PC's, I think we only need no more than 10 mins to work this out.

During my over working 35 years even 30 years with a same organization, we moved offices not less than 10 times. Each time, I  had to pack mouse and keyboard myself on Friday and brought back over the weekend at new office, wired or wireless.

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Yes, then that is a bit what I said ...
Just test each receiver and keyboard / mouse.
From what you indicate, @jlandweh  it seems that it does not work with any receivers / keyboard!?
What is certain, having already done this type of manipulation, any receiver and its keyboard must work with any computer, in any case I have never encountered a keyboard only works with one computer. .
When you connect a receiver dongle to a computer, there must be a recognition / connection sound ...
No need to have the keyboard lit the dongle must be installed.
So as it was mentioned it seems to me, you have to check in the device manager!
So just check a receiver dongle on different computers to see if detected and installed.
If necessary use different usb port.
It would be amazing if it didn't work with all dongles on all computers.
unless you have a concern that we may not be able to identify here.
If a dongle is detected with a pc, correct, just try the 4 keyboards, if none works, test another dongle!
All in all if at least one dongle and keyboard does not work, it is that something serious happened somewhere!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.