Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion 23w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have tried unplugging the dvi and vga cables and plugging them back but still no help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Jlin7269

A very warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion 23xi 23-inch Diagonal IPS LED Backlit Monitor. I read that the monitor does not respond when connected to the PC. You have unplugged the DVI and VGA cables and plugged them back and the issue persists. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Does the monitor remain black when connected to the PC?
  • Does the monitor work when connected to any other PC (if available)?
  • Or does any other monitor work fine with this PC?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Do not connect the monitor to the PC. 
  • Connect the monitor to the power source (wall outlet).
  • Power on the monitor. If the monitor displays a message as "check input signal", etc. then it means that the monitor is fine. This is called as the monitor self-test.

You may refer to this HP article for additional information. 

Hope this helps. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@Jlin7269

A very warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion 23xi 23-inch Diagonal IPS LED Backlit Monitor. I read that the monitor does not respond when connected to the PC. You have unplugged the DVI and VGA cables and plugged them back and the issue persists. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Does the monitor remain black when connected to the PC?
  • Does the monitor work when connected to any other PC (if available)?
  • Or does any other monitor work fine with this PC?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Do not connect the monitor to the PC. 
  • Connect the monitor to the power source (wall outlet).
  • Power on the monitor. If the monitor displays a message as "check input signal", etc. then it means that the monitor is fine. This is called as the monitor self-test.

You may refer to this HP article for additional information. 

Hope this helps. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended
The monitor does remain black in fact. Secondly, the monitor does turn on and says to check-in put signal.
Thank you for helping and this helped a lot.
HP Recommended

@Jlin7269

You're most welcome. 🙂

I'm glad that you found the suggested steps helpful.

Please do not hesitate to reachout for any further questions. Take care!

HP Recommended
After attempting the processes I have concluded that some hardware inside the desktop isn't working to it's expectations but don't know which one. Additionally I can not connect the PC to the monitor. Also, there's a slight complication; the desktop would have to take 2 attempts in powering on which I can hear the fans blowing. At the first two attempts the desktop powers on for a second then immediately shuts down, but at the third try, it successfully opens
HP Recommended

@Jlin7269

If that's an HP computer then we could troubleshoot it further. Otherwise, you may contact the original manufacturer get the PC fixed.

Take care! 🙂

HP Recommended
It is a HP computer.
HP Recommended

@Jlin7269

Please let me know the exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Thanks! 

HP Recommended
The model no. is p7-1534
HP Recommended

@Jlin7269

Thanks.

The hardware specifications of your HP Pavilion p7-1534 Desktop PC  indicate that it has an integrated video card. The PC has DVI and VGA ports.

Please run the hardware tests on the PC. The below steps should help:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

Figure : HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select component tests.

Figure : Component Tests options

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the system board and the video one by one.

If the tests pass then it indicates that the hardware is all fine. Please refer to this HP article about connecting external monitors to the HP PCs.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this pans out. Good luck! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.