Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp OMEN by HP 25L Desktop PC - GT12-0001
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In bay 1of this PC I had no problem installing a larger capacity SATA drive.  Trying to add a new SATA device to the second bay is not working. 

Any help greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As I thought, you are missing the sata cable, connected to the motherboard
It is definitely not included, you need to get one

check that you have a free sata port anyway
no reason but you never know

Re: Adding Second drive to Omen 25L desktop GT12-0050na - HP Support Community - 8137737

the reference indicates to me several model, the motherboard may be different
anyway, no picture here
i can't check i think

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello
Can you give more information, if possible pictures
Just to make sure something's not forgotten or something
HDD model added
Does this new HDD work if you disconnect the other one, and connect the one instead ...
conversely, did you try the other HDD disk instead of this one
Are the two Sata cables, and power supply in order, and correctly, attached to the HDD, to the motherboard, and to the power supply?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Pro20211010_0006.jpg20211010_0006.jpg Thank you for responding. I appreciate it.

The new hard drive itself is not at fault, works in an external bay.  And although I'm not PC savvy I've fitted hard drives in the past without problems. My suspicion is it's maybe to do with the 2nd bays connector, there's only one there, whereas in the 1st bay there are two.   I've been unable to find any HP documents on fitting a second h.d.  I'm attaching a photograph of the hard drives. 

Again my thanks to you.

HP Recommended

As I thought, you are missing the sata cable, connected to the motherboard
It is definitely not included, you need to get one

check that you have a free sata port anyway
no reason but you never know

Re: Adding Second drive to Omen 25L desktop GT12-0050na - HP Support Community - 8137737

the reference indicates to me several model, the motherboard may be different
anyway, no picture here
i can't check i think

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Solved

Install 2nd SATA hard drive to HP 25L GT12-0000i

When buying this machine the description is that there’s space for “2nd hard drive.”  Well, yes, there is --- but only one connection is provided by HP.  I was unable to find any HP documentation to help install the drive.

By looking into an old PC I was able to see what connection cable was missing and where to plug it onto the motherboard.  On the HP OMEN motherboard there’s a plug/connection marked SATA … right next to where the first HD is plugged in.  You need to buy the appropriate SATE cable and fit it.  The cables cost one € on Amazon.  

How’s that for penny pinching by HP. I imagine most people buy a PC to use it, not to fiddle with it.  Every other PC I’ve owned … slotting in a second hard drive was a doddle.

George

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.