Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z420 recycled
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

So I have two of my books connected to the usb3 port in back.  When I reboot it sits at the HP bois version screen and does nothing. I unplug them and reboot and it goes to OS.  Am I missing a setting in the bios menu system?

Above The Firehouse
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

That may happen when the system is checking for an OS on those extra hard drives.  Look in the setup menu for the boot sequence and set the system hard drive as the only source to try.  Disable the rest of the items.  Here is the manual for that PC

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04205252

The setup menu, F10 is where to look for those settings.  Page 41 indicates how to access the F10 setup and how to set the boot order.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

It doesn't do it when it's connected to the front IO

Above The Firehouse
HP Recommended

Now that is interesting.  I know of no reason why that would make a difference.  The front USB ports should not be any different than the back ports unless the fronts are only USB 2.0 and the backs are USB 3.0, or visa versa.

Did you check in the setup menu?  Perhaps the rear USB's are listed separately in the boot order.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I had to set it to cd rom only.  odd plus there are no optimal setting help files out there on the bios. 

Above The Firehouse
HP Recommended

So are you saying it has quit doing the "stall" and boots properly, now?

BTW: if it set to CD-rom only, how does the hard drive get found and boot-up?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I will have to go through my set up to see what I did

Above The Firehouse
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.