Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 6900020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased an hp 6900020 gaming desktop computer, I am having issues playing games that require all 8gb of memory. i checked ram info and it says i have 6.91gb available out of 8gb. i did some searching online before posting this, i tried msconfig and changing to 8192. I also tried adjusting virtual memory settings, i did a minimum of 10000 and a max of 20000. after i rebooted and checked my available memory and i still only have 6.91. like i mentioned this is a brand new computer, I've had it for 2 days. Any help with this would be much appreciated. 

Thanks, James W. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't know of any PC where all of the memory is available.

On a PC such as yours, a good deal of the system memory goes to support the graphics.

In any event there isn't anything you can do about it.

You should definitely go back to the msconfig app and uncheck the maximum memory setting.

On my PC for example, I have 32 GB of memory installed, with 28 GB available.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I concur with Paul on this.

Some AMD motherboards may not release reserved onboard video memory back to the system when using a discrete graphics card. The Intel motherboards I have worked with do release the video memory back to the system.

It should not be this way but it is.

Add more RAM, This is possible (your PC should be able to accept, at least 16 GB of RAM) so you can play games needing more memory.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.