Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power 580-137c Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion Power 580-137c Desktop PC with a AMD Ryzen 7 1700 and a Basswood 8399 motherboard. I recently installed a AData XPG SX8200 NVMe SSD 1TB. The SSD supports speeds up to PCIE 4 and the CPU supports PCIE Gen 3. When I use the SSD utility it shows the SSD running at PCIE 2 speed. The SSD speed tests show about half the expected expected throughput from the SSD. 

I upgraded the BIOS to the latest version and checked the setting but there is no option to select PCIE bus speed. Any idea how to get the SSD to connect at PCIE 3 speed?

ssd.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You may have a chipset limitation which cannot be mitigated.

I would say the chipset in your motherboard is limited to PCIe 2.0. The chipset is controlling data transfer rates to the M.2 socket on your motherboard.

The MB would support PCIe 3.0 for graphics because this is controlled by the CPU.

Maybe if you installed a M.2 adapter in the X16 slot (if you are not using a discrete graphics card) you could get PCIe 3.0 performance.

The read and write speeds you see are very fast. Faster than a SATA SSD. I can't tell the difference between a SATA SSD and a NVME SSD in everyday use. 

Benchmarks create problems where none may exist.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You may have a chipset limitation which cannot be mitigated.

I would say the chipset in your motherboard is limited to PCIe 2.0. The chipset is controlling data transfer rates to the M.2 socket on your motherboard.

The MB would support PCIe 3.0 for graphics because this is controlled by the CPU.

Maybe if you installed a M.2 adapter in the X16 slot (if you are not using a discrete graphics card) you could get PCIe 3.0 performance.

The read and write speeds you see are very fast. Faster than a SATA SSD. I can't tell the difference between a SATA SSD and a NVME SSD in everyday use. 

Benchmarks create problems where none may exist.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. It looks like the chipset may only have PCIE 2.0 and these lanes are likely routed to the m.2 slot. This is probably a limitation of the budget motherboard.

I do have a graphics card in the x16 slot so using an m.2 adapter is not an option although it would be a good experiment. 

I'm not sure about "Benchmarks create problems where none may exist." in this case the benchmark revealed a limitation on the motherboard, not a problem.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.