Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 800 G1 (717372-002 Motherboard)
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am building a new computer using the motherboard from an EliteDesk 800 G1.  (Many are for sale on Ebay, so this will probably be helpful to others.)  The seller gives the part number as 717372-002.

Here is a picture:

The lines from the case front panel that I need to connect are:  Power switch, P-LED+, P-LED-, HDD LED (a +- set) and Reset Sw.  As you can see, there are no indicators on the board itself, as one would find in a retail MB.

I have found several threads discussing this question regarding other HP motherboards.  Some user manuals for other HP computers give the connection layout, but not the ones associated with this model. 

Any help is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Gabriele and Squalor:

I had gotten so far, but was ultimately thwarted, and abandoned the project.  I purchased another motherboard from Asus and started all over.  Many hours wasted.

The HP design had nothing but customized, non-standard sub-assembly parts:  The pinout was special.  It has a special ATX power connector adaptor.  Their processor heatsink and fan assembly is unique.  What finally killed my project was something that does not exist on any other computer I've built:  A heat sink backing plate!  This is a metal fixture that apparently sits between the motherboard and the case wall, and into which the heat sink fan assembly is screwed. 

It was not included with the motherboard, of course.  And I could not find one, nor improvise one.  So I cut my losses. 

I guess you could call that a solution.

As for the pinout diagram:  please follow the links in this thread to discover a solution, because I don't have that material handy anymore.  But before you go any further, make sure you have all the special items mentioned above.  If not, consider a different MB.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello my friend,

I am actually thinking of doing the same thing.

The pinout from what info I could gather should be:

POW LED+(2) POW LED-(4) blank(6) JUMPER (8,10)

HDD LED+(1) HDD LED-(3) POW SW(5) POW SW (7) NOT CONNECTED(9)

Also, unless you use the existing PSU, you will need a power cable adapter.

The white panel at the bottom left of your picture (P2) receives power directly from a connector from the HP PSU, this connector does not exist in standard PSUs, so you will have to buy an adapter like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30cm-ATX-Main-24-Pin-to-6-Pin-PSU-Power-Adapter-Cable-18AWG-for-HP-Z220-Z23...

Hope this helps

HP Recommended

Thank you!  That layout comports with what I found on another thread here for a different model MB.  Is this where you got that info?:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/MS-7860-Motherboard-PB-LED-P5-h...

If not, we can just take that as further confirmation. 

About Power Supply Adaptors

I had discovered this issue of the non-standard power supply design and ordered an adaptor, but your link caused me to do some more research.  Here is a thread on the subject, though it regards a different model MB:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Z240-P2-connect...

Within that thread I found a link to this adaptor, and it states it's suitable for an EliteDesk 800 G1:

https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Power-Adapter-Workstation-12-inch/dp/B06XW7RWNH/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_produc...

While the wire colors are different, it appears to be the same type of prouct as yours.  It will also arrive sooner, and I need that.

I am puting in all this detail because I accidentally ordered a similar adaptor (looks very much the same) but which is not designed for an HP.  I realized this before it even arrived, so I never tried to power up.  Let that be a warning to anyone else trying to build up from HP motherboards!

Thanks for your input, saved me from a disaster!

HP Recommended

Regarding the pinout, I confirmed the info on the link for the other HP Motherboard, as to which cable is which, with some power button replacement videos which concur with the ones provided. I also checked pinouts from different motherboard vendors and it seems that they all use the same layout. The only part that I am not 100% sure about is the jumper on pins 8,10

HP Recommended

One more thing! 

This MB has a non-standard attachment pattern for the CPU heatsink/fan unit!  I had plugged in everything, dabbed on the heatsink paste, and then found that it wouldn't fit the unit that came with the CPU!

When looking to find a proper unit, I was led astray by the part number I found on the computer documentation.  But searching Ebay for "HP Elitedesk 800 g1 heatsink" gave me several options, some low cost.  But be careful if you are buying because some don't have fans and some look just wrong, like they won't fit into the alotted space. 

I am awaiting delivery, will update this thread when I finish.

HP Recommended

Hello my friend,

Did you actually manage to put everything together?

HP Recommended

Hello! 

you did it use another case with this motherboard?

would you please a photo of cabling connections (button on/off)

i am noob mounting computer.

how to identifier the entry of cable for on/off button?

HP Recommended

Hello Gabriele and Squalor:

I had gotten so far, but was ultimately thwarted, and abandoned the project.  I purchased another motherboard from Asus and started all over.  Many hours wasted.

The HP design had nothing but customized, non-standard sub-assembly parts:  The pinout was special.  It has a special ATX power connector adaptor.  Their processor heatsink and fan assembly is unique.  What finally killed my project was something that does not exist on any other computer I've built:  A heat sink backing plate!  This is a metal fixture that apparently sits between the motherboard and the case wall, and into which the heat sink fan assembly is screwed. 

It was not included with the motherboard, of course.  And I could not find one, nor improvise one.  So I cut my losses. 

I guess you could call that a solution.

As for the pinout diagram:  please follow the links in this thread to discover a solution, because I don't have that material handy anymore.  But before you go any further, make sure you have all the special items mentioned above.  If not, consider a different MB.

HP Recommended

Hello, Hjourzt!

Your experience made me change my opinion.

I will buy other motherboard.

I am brazilian, here im Brazil a motherboard 1150 is expensive, but  is worth risk.

Thank you, i apreciated your atention 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.